Worn linkage fix

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Worn linkage fix
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 02:51 pm:

I have been adjusting the low / neutral in my TT. When I had everything adjusted as correctly as I could I ended up with a vert short neutral position on the peddle. I noticed that there was quite a bit of slop in the linkage caused by wear in the holes in the clevis and the hole in the peddle. The clevis pin was worn pretty badly also as was the L portion of the of the linkage where it connects to the peddle. After some consideration I decided I would try making a slightly oversize pin for the clevis. This I did by turning a piece of 3/8" stock down to fit the oversize holes. Was able to eliminate virtually all the slop. Next for the L linkage that connects to the peddle. The hole in the peddle was a bit oversize as well, but was also oblong. I solved this by making a new L piece and then gas welding a sort of lobe on the rear side of it to fit the oblong hole. After final fitting and some work with a file all went together and with no slop in the linkage. After a quick adjustment to the clevis things are good. With the low peddle stopping about 1" from the floor I have about a 2" - 2.5", maybe a little more, neutral area in the peddle.This made a world of difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 03:08 pm:

Well done! Did the new L piece end up the same overall length as the old one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

No, I made it about 3/4" longer. Probably didn't need to but it didn't hurt anything to be a bit longer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 04:45 pm:

Many times you can fix a "wallered out" hole by just filling it in and redrilling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 05:22 pm:

Did that to mine. Brazed up the hole and works fine. Its a simple fix. Its surprising how that a little wear here and there in the linkage can make a difference in getting things to work correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 06:43 pm:

Just don't make the hole in the pedal too neat a fit. As the pedal moves sideways, there needs to be enough slop to allow the L linkage to cant a little. If the fit is neat, it can bind.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 08:49 pm:

Here are photos to go with the story:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/478111.html?1410348928

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration