Question for speedster bunch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Question for speedster bunch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

I have the store bought speedster bucket seats. For the butt pad, do you use upholstery foam or do you use coil springs with foam?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 03:34 pm:

4 inches of foam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 03:59 pm:

And THAT prompts another question! Only because I worked for a fellow once that had a son who was in the foam rubber mfgr. & sales business, and one thing I learned was that there are many, many grades, densities, qualities, etc. of foam rubber. (....or foam "whatever"). Always have to wonder what quality of foam you are really getting, because it may or may not be satisfactory when first "installed", or, it may or may not "REMAIN" satisfactory over "the long run". I've had what seemed to be decent foam rubber initially, turn into actual "powder" in a very short period of time. I'll bet everybody who reads this has experienced, for example, foam rubber-backed throw rugs where the foam backing soon disintegrated! And to this day, I STILL don't know how to determine good quality foam; I guess you just have to deal with a reputable supplier! I do know that to a large degree, the better the quality, the more it costs! FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul wilcox germantown wi on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 04:37 pm:

The best foam i have found is what is used in a camper for the seat cushions or beds

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 06:55 pm:

I use the thick green foam from Joanne fabrics. The easiest way to cut it is with an electric knife. I have some of Paul's camper foam in reserve - Thank you Paul.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

Ive played with seats for a while and if you drive alot like I did the green foam goes flat. I ended up hacking apart a rear seat from a car and glueing/using that foam to make for a comfortable seat that would support better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 12:10 am:

I gave up on plywood seat bases years ago. I made a tube steel frame, then wove burlap strips to support the foam... Worked great!! But eventually stretched out. Since then I replaced the burlap with rubber bladders out of a MGTD... Going strong and super comfortable!! 200 mile endurance runs?... No problem!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 01:59 am:

I have used temporary cushions that had foam in them. I do not use modern foam in my speedsters as a permanent thing. What I do use, depends upon the car and how thick I can tolerate the seat. The boat-tail has original era seat springs in the bottom, thick felt in the back. And I like it that way. A couple of speedsters I have had had a pile of felt in the bottoms. Maybe I am a h@&d-@$$, but I never had a problem riding all day in them. Although, a few passengers have complained.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 03:18 am:

Be sure to add a four inch angle iron bracket to the outer sides to keep it from bending over. 3/16 inch thick to be sure

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SharonJValladares on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 04:40 am:

Use cushions

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration