OLD STIFF TIRES

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OLD STIFF TIRES
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard L Grzegorowicz on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 06:13 pm:

did I make a mistake? I found 5 30x31\2 tires, wards river side, tread like new ever so slight weather cracking. BUT when I hold them to my wheels they look as tho they shrunk a inch or two, and the rubber is hard.any one ever delt with this type situation? what's the cure if any. shur would like to use them on ole liz. thank you for any help. GREG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 06:38 pm:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mounting+hard+tires+mtfca&rlz=1C1PRFA_enUS447US4 47&oq=mounting+hard+tires+mtfca&aqs=chrome..69i57.4622j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UT F-8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 06:38 pm:

Greg, there being no wire in the beads of clincher tyres, they will shrink in time. I have had some success stretching them in the following way.
You need a modern tyre and rim combination close to the size of your T tyres. Deflate the tyre and lever the T tyre over the deflated tyre until it sits in the middle of the tread. Then re-inflate the tyre. Heat is your friend. Leave the assembly out in the hot sun for as long as you want.

You may need to use a couple of different sizes to get the stretch you need. It will take time but it can make the impossible quite achievable.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 06:49 pm:

No mistake!

The tires on my 19 were at least 45 years old. My dad put them on the car a few years before putting the car in storage. I just put air in them and drove it for 3 years until they wore out. I had to change a tube on one because a patch began leaking.

They may be hard to mount but it can be done by letting them soak in the sun for a few hours to soften them. If the rims are are not smooth you will find that a plastic bag will,help.

If you plan on driving 50 mph forget what I am saying.

PS they didn't shrink.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard L Grzegorowicz on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 08:01 pm:

wow all those fix's shur make me feel better, the hot box is going to be my first try, I just happin to have one of those old coil heater lamp, as I remember the thing dims the lights when I turn it on but how it heats. thank you all so much for all those idea, I now will attack this job with re newd interest!Greg

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration