Top is done.. Next?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Top is done.. Next?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 07:42 pm:

I have spent the last two weeks restoring the top bows and installing the top. Next, is the lights. Using my Model T bench to set up the lights. The bench is perfect for painting, wet sanding, polishing, and assembling and testing the lights. For stop lights I had a pair of DB drum tail lights. Variations of these were used on several cars, 27 T, and Model A to name a few. I hammered and dolly-ed the DB out, filled the license plate hole. Install sockets, bead blast, and paint and they'll be ready to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

Great work and a clever bench design! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

Ni c erwin work on the top and headlamps! Functional tail lights are on my short list, after the transmission!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

Looks like you did a very good job with the top.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard lee on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Man it looks great

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 09:08 pm:

Great job on the top Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

Ouch! Being the owner of a '16 Dodge Brothers Touring (as well as a '16 T Touring) I am having pains!! It's actually getting to the point where the DB tail lamps and the Ford Tail lamps are getting pretty close to each other in value. Didn't used to be that way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

Nice Job on the top!!! Love the work bench, very clever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 12:48 am:

Dan, that's the neatest top installation I have ever seen a T owner undertake. I take my hat off to you.

I tackled the tail lights a little differently on my new roadster. I used standard T tail lights and fitted double contact sockets used in headlights. That gives me brake and tail lights in each. To keep the number plate side window orientated, I blocked off the hole in the left hand side one and fitted the globe holder opposite. Then I found a LHD tail light I had brought home from the USA on one trip!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 08:22 am:

Looks fantastic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 08:32 am:

great Job on the top... next I guess would be the tires? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 10:03 am:

Dan, is that a Classtique top? It is refreshing to see your rear windows, as so many of them are done incorrectly. Yeah, those Hall taillights are getting more scarce. I've seen plain ones, and Hupmobile too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 08:42 pm:

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. The top and interior kit are Classtique, I bought them from Elizabeth just before she sold out to Mike. The customer service is unbelievable. I had a few issues with the top and called Mike for some info. He contacted Elizabeth and she called me telling me if I couldn't get it to work to send it back to her or Mike and they would fix it. I followed some of her suggestions and got it to work.
David, don't grieve over the taillights, they weren't that great, if they were really good I wouldn't have used them. I have them setup with two stoplight bulbs in each one and they are really bright

G.R. actually the rims next. The ones I have aren't a matched set so I have tried to contact Mark McLaren to get a set from him but so far haven't heard back. Has anyone done business with him?

The Model T bench is in use all the time. I have run engines in on it, built the 24 body off it, used it to hold body panels for repair and paint including a pair of 51 Merc fenders ect. I also built a bench top for it.

Larry I worked with Elizabeth to get the window spacing right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 09:18 pm:

I brought my touring down to Elizabeth in Ham Lake last night. Her and Joe are extremely nice people. Then I talked to Mike today to order side curtains and a top boot. Any upholstery or sheet metal scares me and I'm not willing to try it. Therefore I took it to the best there is. I'm paying a price for what I'm getting but still feel it's well worth it.

I also caught a glimpse of Joe's Grand National Buick. WOW!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration