New MFG. 12 Volt starter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: New MFG. 12 Volt starter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 07:42 pm:

Anyone know the current status of the LD Becker Starter empire? I have multiple phone numbers, only one goes to a message machine. I know that Larry passed and since I have had issues purchasing. I would like to purchase a new MFG. 12 Volt starter. Any words of wisdom, direction, or known source would be great.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

Mike, try :

1-319-577-1241

Daryl Becker

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

Wrong area code..... use 419

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 07:03 pm:

What's wrong with the factory 6V starter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 08:13 pm:

They don't work well on 12 volts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

John,

They work just fine on12 volts, you will need to use a 6 ft long skinny modern 12 volt cable on the positive, and maybe the same on the ground side. If you just hook up the heavy 6 volt cables to a. 12 volt battery you will slam the Bendix and likely wreck it,

I am sure there are folks who will disagree but it has worked well for Royce's dad, Royce , my self and others. The idea came from Royce's dad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 09:14 pm:

Use a bendix spring as a in line resistor. It works for me.... Jerry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 10:57 am:

Guys, I know all the tricks. Thanks for your input, I'm a 6 volt guy, my customers, they are not. I have a customer who would like to purchase a Becker 12volt starter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 11:16 am:

Hello Jerry,
Can you post a picture of the bendix spring as a line resistor?
I would love to see how you have it set up.
thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 11:25 am:

Mount one end of the spring to the post on the starter and the cable to the other end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 12:33 pm:

Mike

You probably already know this, he is listed on the MTFCA suppliers page below Hutch. I purchased one from him a couple years ago.

Randy Johnson California Mustangs
PO Box 916
4620 Garden Bar Rd.
Lincoln, CA 95648
Phone 916-991-4006

Model T Ford 12 volt Generators and Regulators

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 01:35 pm:

I think you need to consult with Ron Patterson and get him to build you a 12 volt starter by modifying the field connections on the regular Model T starter.

I think the Beckers are no longer in business. You might call the home phones in Ohio and see what you can find out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Montgomery on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 07:35 pm:

I have one of Beckers' 12 volt starters on my T racer. Bought it last summer. Instead of cranking for 20 seconds car starts faster than you can say Start !. yes they are in business. Bought 12 Volt alternator this yr from them for another T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 09:38 pm:

I have what appears to be a 12v model T starter. The front bending support (snout) is cast aluminum. Is this a Becker build?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 09:53 pm:

No wonder my car is hard to start.
I don't know the difference between a starter and a generator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

I just sold two as spares to Ross Lilleker in College Station. Both are brand new Becker units. Give him a call. He might sell one of them. 979-218-5148

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

I meant to say Bendix support. Stupid auto correct!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daryl W. Becker on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 10:42 pm:

The starters sold by Beckers have continually had never ending quality issues ,and since Becker Sr has passed there has been no interest or ability to correct these issues from the JR , unfortunately. Yes, some have survived, but such a large amount have had nose breakage issues and drive issues along with numerous internal issues that Macs have discontinued supplying them, it is greatly suggested to have your original starter rebuilt by the many qualified experienced rebuilders on this site , Ron Patterson is an example of one, It is very recommended to search for a more qualified , experienced supplier of the units requested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 08:58 am:

Mike -- I've had several rebuilt by Ken Kopsky in Lytle, Texas. He re-routes part of the internal wiring to convert it to 12 volts. Never a problem with Ken's work. ccwken@wireweb.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 09:58 am:

What is wrong with an original? And who needs 12 volts? My six volt starter spins the engine over just fine. What could be better, and original too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 10:09 am:

Larry - the hand crank in front is better, it doesn't need any current at all :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

His customer wants 12 volts. Mike wants to satisfy his customers needs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

The main reason to use a 12 volt system is the ease at which accessories can be purchased and replaced. Try to buy a six volt light bulb at a drug store at ten o'clock at night. Try to buy a six volt battery when you need it right now. Charge your cell phone, run your computer, use a converter to get 120 volts. Borrow a battery out of your modern car in an emergency. . . . and so on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

I just purchased a 6 volt battery at a well known nationwide auto parts store here in Califunny. It cost me $125.00! It was also the lowest local price I could find. The 12 volt equivalent was $69.00!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 06:04 pm:

Ted Dumas is exactly right. The customer wants 12 volts. First rule of doing business: The customer is always right.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 06:42 pm:

Thanks, I've offered a rebuilt option to my customer, his insistence is with a new MFG. Thanks for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

Dick,

Just had this question this week and my answer was "no the customer is not always right, often the customer is an imbecile".

The first rule of business is that if the customers run your business you will soon be out of business. I am often asked to do unsafe and illegal things, it is just fun sometimes to say no and watch the frustration.

This has nothing to do with 12 volts to a starter, I have done it on cars and tractors...just general not being walked on in business by people who come to me with needs they can't accomplish then try to tell me how I am going to do it. I don't need those customers and if they know better then why don't they do it themselves?

Tim Moore

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration