Need a space to store my grandfathers Model T ford

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Need a space to store my grandfathers Model T ford
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SharonJValladares on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 05:13 am:

My parents died when I was young and we were living with our grandfather. He had a model T ford which he drove all around. Now Iím 21 and my grandfather died last year. Now his car is with us. He had a huge home and there was a spacious garage too but after his death the property was sold and now we are living in a small house where we couldnít find enough space to store the car. We canít sell it because it gives us the memories of good old days that we spend with our grandpa so Iím in need of a safe place to store the car. I thought of storing it at my sisterís home but she has 2 crazy kids and Iím afraid whether they would damage the car. Iíve heard about ( http://www.ultrastor.ca/ ) which provides vehicle storage services but I need to know whether they are affordable or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 07:39 am:

Contact them and ask.

I don't know what the rules are for various 'mini storage' units, but I knew a guy who collected Mustangs and he rented the larger units and got two cars end to end in each unit. Some may have restrictions on storing cars with fuel and oil, but obviously, some don't or at least didn't enforce them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 08:10 am:

Sharon,

Are there any local or regional antique car museums in your area? If so, have you considered loaning it to them to display until you have a safe place to store it and ultimately decide what to do with it?

Most museums are great caretakers and it will allow others to enjoy your grandfathers car at the same time. Just a thought.

No matter what you decide, get the storage agreement in writing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 08:52 am:

Sharon, check around with local Ford dealerships, just maybe they'd be willing to put it on "display" in a corner of their showroom for the winter. Of course, some form of posts and roping off would be in order! Good luck. So glad to hear you're doing everything you can to keep the car in your family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Caledon Ontario Canada on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 09:36 am:

Sharon, I will drop you a note later today when I have some time. I live North of Toronto and there are lots of options

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 11:31 am:

Do you have a buddy that owns an airplane and keeps it in a local airport hangar? Sometimes you can make a deal to park the T under a wing or in the corner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 11:38 am:

Sharon,

I suggest you join this club: http://ontariomodelt.org/

A SUPER group of people who I'm certain will help you out! My MTFCI chapter, The Casual T's, and the Ontario Chapter have an annual Can-Am tour. Hope to see you there sometime in the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

For a few years I had to store my Model A away from the house; I put it in a Storage rental place, it would just fit, along with some other boxes of (car) stuff. The Storage owners didn't seem to mind it at all--they were a bit of car nuts too though!
If you join the club, one of the members might have a place to keep it at a very reasonable rent too.
There are options--this is a very supportive bunch of folks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 01:04 pm:

Talk to the little old ladies and men in your neighborhood and at church and see if any of them have an empty garage they are willing to rent.

My dad, my neighbor and I have rented garages in our neighborhood from little old ladies who quit driving and sold their cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 01:07 pm:

I've rented garages too. The "little old ladies" seem to like having the cars there and enjoy the visits as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 01:44 pm:

The cost of rental storage adds up quickly, so consider this: A Model T is only 64 inches wide. If you have a two-car garage, get a set of vehicle dollies, put the top down, turn the car sideways, and push it to the back of the garage. Unless your modern car is a limo, you should be able to make it work. I'm doing this right now, but it's my Model A in the back on the dollies, so the T is more accessible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

I store two of mine in enclosed trailers.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration