Wondering if I need to adjust low band

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Wondering if I need to adjust low band
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 07:43 am:

Starting off I push the low band and before I get to the bottom the band "grabs" a couple of times. I'm only 5'-6" tall so by the time I'm all the way down I'm practically pushing with my toes...ha

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 08:03 am:

Sounds as if you may be running wood bands, which tend to chatter, rather than slip?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 10:03 am:

If the low band is firmly engaged with the pedal 1 to 1.5 inches above the floorboards, I would not tighten the band any more to bring the pedal up. You run the risk of losing neutral and/or overheating and cracking the low drum due to constant friction of the band.

I have seen period pictures of Model Ts with shaped 2x4 wood blocks attached to the pedals. I wouldn't trust glue, if it were me I would countersink holes in the blocks and bolt the blocks to the pedals. Of course, that means drilling holes in the pedals for the bolts.

A little pricey but more stylish, you could buy three of the reverse pedal extensions that the vendors offer to bring all the pedals up within easier reach.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3439EX.aspx

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 10:37 am:

I bet I could figure out a way to attach wooden blocks without drilling the pedals. I expect you can too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 11:10 am:

Makes me think of that little boy who saved the "heroes" in "Oh Brother Who Art Thou" from a tight spot.. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA6bWhuZ8o

Pedal block

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 11:20 am:

Or you could put more padding in the back of the seat. Try putting a pillow behind you and see if it helps before you actually add anything permanently to the seat itself.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 11:50 am:

So, it looks like the consensus is band adjustment is ok and sit closer to the front of the seat....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

If you do have some distance left from the pedal to the floorboards when it's firmly in low, then it's probably in adjustment.
Never let the drum slip when driving in low, the slip needed to get the car rolling should be as little as possible with as little throttle as possible without stalling.

Open the throttle when low is in fully and you should feel if it's slipping - if it slips even with the foot firmly down, then you must adjust as soon as possible. Very easy on a lhd hogshead - the adjustment is accessible without opening the inspection lid. One half turn is usually enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 01:47 pm:

To each his own but I have to say the pedal extension for reverse works really well especially when you have size 13 boots and shoes! I have then on all 3 of my T's. Cant go wrong by using them on all 3 pedals. Especially if you need a little pedal height.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration