Old Photo - Brass Era - Lady Posing In A Touring Car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Brass Era - Lady Posing In A Touring Car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 11:46 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 11:54 am:

She looks please with that tree they're bringing home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 11:59 am:

'lectric lights,even!Brand new'11.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

And, the 'q'stuck.mean1912.treaded front tires, even!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

Not a Stynoski winner potential!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 12:52 pm:

I can't see the grease cups!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 02:53 pm:

i think the windshield should be the same height top & bottom. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 05:03 pm:

Charlie, I had that exact windshield on my 1912 wide track (sn:116600).
Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 07:11 pm:

Those windshields have been discussed on this forum a couple times in the past. Unfortunately, I did not bookmark them, and therefore cannot provide a link (Mr Google and I do not get along very well). I do not recall seeing any final conclusions. However, enough survivors have had them, and enough original era photos exist showing them, that many people consider this style of windshield to must have been used originally. Unfortunately, I do not remember reading anything that can say exactly when or why? I do remember some speculation. The car above appears to be a latter half 1912, "slab side" body, one-piece firewall. Lamps don't help much, headlamps having been changed. Maybe the sidelamps were changed or altered also.
I am certainly no expert with Michigan license plates, but the style would look to be later than '12 (the year appears to be partially behind the crank handle). In spite of the fact the car is so clean and well cared for, the car could have been a couple years old when the picture was taken. That could help explain the tire. Any of our Michigan or surrounding areas help with the plate? When I zoomed in on the photo, I also looked at both front tires. The right front appears to be smooth (never a tread, as most early '10s tires were), and have a few miles on it. Only the left front and rear appear to be "improved tread" tires. I could not make out the name on the front tire, although some shadows indicate that it may be in the photo. Several companies did offer similar tread styles in the mid '10s. I "think" the fronts are 30X3, for whatever that is worth.
Great photo! Thank you all.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

Appears to be a 1913 Michigan plate which is white on green and includes a white border.

What is interesting is how the plate appears to be attached: leather straps going down the front of the plates and probably wrapped around the crossmember and spring. I've never seen a plate mounted like that before.

It would be nice if the internet source of the photo was provided so we could possibly zoom in at higher resolution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

That is one of several styles of windshield typical of the late 1912 slab side tourings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 10:47 pm:

Nice photo, Jay. Notice the reflection on the body of the horn tube and the door handle. Nice pinstripe detail. No windshield rod rubber tips.
I wonder why the sidelamps have dark lenses.

Is it a double exposure or are the a bunch of giant Oak leaves in the back seat?

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 10:45 am:

It's nice to see a '12 with doors!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration