How to Remove Windshield from '26 Coupe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: How to Remove Windshield from '26 Coupe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

This may seem like a real basic question but I don't know how to remove the windshield from my 26 coupe and I don't want to mess it up. The glass rattles in the windshield frame and makes me slightly crazy so I want to take it out and re-bed the glass in the frame.

I expect this is simple but I don't want to mess up the hinge or surrounding paint and sheet metal no less break anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 01:57 pm:

You will need to remove the windshield and under the hinge you will find a couple of screws. Remove the screws at each end. Lift the hinge frame up away from the rest of the frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

Dan,

That's the problem, how do I get the windshield off of the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 02:48 pm:

If it's like mine, you open the windshield forward and remove the screws at the top of the piano hinge, at the bottom of the header panel area. Have someone help you hold it up while you are removing the last few.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 03:53 pm:

A couple of earlier posts.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/52585.html?1207921404

This post has some photos of the long seamed hinge, its just a channel in a channel.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/579015.html?1445044298

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

OK, I have the early version with a piano hinge and was expecting the later interlocking C channel variety which mine clearly is not. The piano hinge is welded to the top of the windshield frame and has screws (or machine screws and nuts, I don't have it off yet) that attach the hinge to the header. The screws were covered with some weatherstripping, somewhat obvious when that was removed.

Thank You Michael and Dan for the insight and research.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 05:47 pm:

I suppose mine is missing the weatherstripping you mentioned, so it was quite obvious to me. Glad you're able to remove it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration