'New and Improved' Runningboard Script

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 'New and Improved' Runningboard Script
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 03:56 pm:

Or I guess I could've called it 'Did You Know and Do You Care'
It began when a Spokane Model T friend of mine told me there were two sizes of Ford script on 'New and Improved' running boards and did I know which of the two years had the larger and which had the smaller script? I had truthfully never considered this but since I was the second owner of and had recently sold a matching serial number late '27 coupe 14,985,xxx to a friend in NC (see my profile pic) and am currently the second owner of a '26 roadster, I thought I'd look into this. My friend measured the script on his coupe running boards and reported it to be exactly 2 1/4" long and my roadster script was exactly 1 1/4" long. So now I know but wonder if/when the change to larger script was made on these unique to 2 year running boards. I then did extensive search on previous Forums to see if this topic was ever addressed. Other than several threads referencing "26/27 runningboards, nothing has been discussed about the different script sizes on these interchangeable parts. Wonder if the MTFCI judging book mentions this? Russ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

This is one more of the many different changes on the Improved Models. I knew of the different sizes but so far I have no date of change, and have not done a survey of running boards on existing survivor cars yet. Everyone has always said the 26-27s are "all alike" "Nope" They are not alike. So for the "did I know" yes I did, and "do I care" yes I do ... Thanks for bringing it up, have fun and be safe ... Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 06:18 pm:

George

My guess is the tiny Ford script with Made in USA under, was earlier.

This running board was on original 1926 runabout, engine build date Nov 1925.

My '27 has a NOS pair of the later, large script boards, Made in USA is on ea. side of Ford script.

The Judging Guidelines don't distinguish year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

Good to hear from ya'll Donnie and Dan. That's the assumption I was led to also. The larger script on the model year 1927. Now I'll be looking for it on tours and definitely WON'T point it out to owners whose T s fall outside of these parameters :o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

looks like it's time to change the judging guidelines :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 11:14 pm:

Noel, With the amount of changes made during 26-27 to the Improved Models it will probably amount to a couple of pages needing added to the judging guidelines. If I live long enough, I hope to have all the changes compiled into a book about the Improved Models. I am at the point I need to make a trip to the Benson Library and try and nail down some of the "dates of change". Just for a very small example, there are 2 different windshield stanchions, 4 different front fenders, two different firewalls, two different gas tanks, three different sill plates, three different styles of touring roadster doors, three different headlight assemblies, and on and on and on ...... I am not talking about "subtle changes" but distinct changes. have fun and be safe ......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 01:38 am:

Back in the mid 1970's my first complete Model T was a 1926 Tudor made in December of 1925. I was the third owner of the car. The car had been repainted once and the seats had been recovered over the original upholstery. I do remember that the Ford script was small and had the Made in USA under the script. I don't know how long the script was but it looked a lot like the first picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 10:38 am:

I owned a '26 back in the early '60s, and it had one of each!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 03:08 pm:

Maybe it was a transitional '26-'27 Larry. :o). Ask Mike Walker about the transitional hood I sold him at Chickasha 2 years ago. One half was for the high radiator and one half was for a low radiator. ;o)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration