Holes in firewall and brake cam

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Holes in firewall and brake cam
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 08:45 pm:

Might the larger hole here be for a heater hose at one time?? Looks like someone removed the data badge... :-)
firewall holes

Should the brake cam on the long swing-arm, be perpendicular to the swing arm... and not be twisted?
brake cam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 01:29 am:

Is it the firewall and the brake cross shaft on your 1924 runabout/pickup?

Very few T's were equipped with a heater warmed by the coolant - it's more of a 1930's and later equipment, so I doubt there was a hose, maybe the hole was meant for some other type of accessory, like controls for a horn or a special carburetor.

Yes, there was a data plate with patent numbers - it's called the 1926/27 style in the catalogs but was on 1925 model cars too, maybe it's a '25 you have?
https://www.modeltford.com/item/1865G.aspx

Other 1925 features are two rivets holding the emergency brake quadrant instead of four and hinges on the door where the lower hinge is the same as the upper - they were uneven earlier.

The clutch cam on the emergency brake cross shaft shouldn't be twisted. Check with the hogshead on so the clutch bolt follows the cam and can't slide off. A good trick is to turn the bolt upside down, the head makes a wider and better sliding surface :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 11:27 pm:

Yes. It's titled as a '24... and seems we looked up the block numbers, and they were '2r as well. The body, I am increasingly suspicious of, but is how my dad purchased it, some 20-30 years ago. I am mostly suspicious, as I suspect it might have been a speedster at one time, or something, as there is poor yellow paid to under the poor black paint, under all the oil and grime ... but just on the frame. I don't recall seeing yellow on the body parts.

Seems the brake quadrant is attached to the frame with bolts... so likely re-done at some point.

Kinda 'matches' the top... irons and top apparently made from a cut down touring top. (sigh). Such is the life of a T!

Any way...good info on the holes, also.

I will look at the door hinges again. I heard of that, then looked, and promptly forgot, like 2 years ago. Lol...

You can see the path the bolt took, sliding on the cam... kinda crooked... but didn't slide off. I have new bits...for the kink age, and bolt. If the bolt is upside down, wouldn't it have a wider surface, and not 'slide off. The c am right? My old bolt was very worn, and the end was a bit angled. The coupling was VERY sloppy. I'm anxious to get it all back together again, and see how much things b Ave tightened up!

So, if the bolt doesn't slide off the side of the cam, it should be OK?

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 09:19 am:

Yes :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 09:24 am:

If you decide to turn the bolt over to provide more wiping surface on the cam, be sure to file off any raised markings on the head of the bolt and polish it smooth so that it slides on the cam surface easily. Also, be sure to apply some heavy grease onto the wiping surface of the cam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 11:10 am:

Whatever accessory it was that required drilling a firewall hole with a pick axe, my '26 had the same thing. I don't know about you but I'm just going to make up some sort of data plate and stick it over the hole for now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 11:16 am:

Round over the sharp edges a little if you flip the bolt over. Gives the bolt head a little more ramp to slide on to the cam. I have been running the bolt head down for years. I am sure it was a cost thing, it was easier to install the bolt and adjust from the top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

Roger. My brake quadrant is held on by 2 bolts... but there are 2 rivets in the frame, nearby, that aren't holding anything on, now. Quadrant probably replaced with a 2 holer? brake quadrant - 1
brake quadrant - 2

And door hinges...
Door hinges

I have yet to find any numbers on the body or chassis.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration