Our "new" 1920 Roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Our "new" 1920 Roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

My September purchase. We were out of town and Teresa noticed it in the used car lot as we pulled out of WalMart. We took a look and it was love at first sight. We'd even brought a trailer for hauling other things. Restored in the '70's, sold after that owner's death, then just driven by the last owner. Need to check the Ruckstell for bronze thrust washers, fix some radiator hoses, and make sure it's ready for a tour. It will need accessory brakes before I drive it much. Bands were loose but it has a very quiet engine and transmission and accelerates well. Steering is tight and body is solid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 09:54 pm:

Congratulations,Doctor.A very nice acquisition. And, frankly,were it mine, and it did not have excessive end play of internals, I would enjoy it as-is. Other wise I would have a good stock rear end ready to roll under it. Keep it operational while you are doing exploratory surgery on the Ruckstell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 11:15 pm:

Hi Noel, It looks REALLY nice!!! Some guys have all the luck... :-) And you found it at a used car lot, no less.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 11:31 pm:

Wow, nice car!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 - 11:45 pm:

Hey Noel. Good looking roadster. Just put a set of AC brakes on my '20 roadster. If you go with AC brakes, Larry Sidmore and Rich Baughman are great to work with. Larry sells the brakes and Rich sells the linkage. The linkage bolts onto the car. No problem. I love my '20.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 01:11 am:

Doc, what a sweety!
In a used car lot? Too cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 02:33 am:

What a find!! That is one of the few sets of Pasco wheels I have ever seen. I dunno what you paid for the roadster but I know those wheels and hubs are worth a pretty easy 5 grand!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 03:50 am:

Doc, nice score!!! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 07:16 am:

Awesome !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 07:19 am:

Great looking car Doc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 07:20 am:

Wait a minute, how are you going to get the dogs in there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Brown - Austin, Texas on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 08:56 am:

Great find! The Pasco wheels really set it off. Hopefully the wrench came with the wheels as it is next to impossible to find one.
Thanks for posting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 08:57 am:

Put on black wood-spoke wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 10:19 am:

Nice T !!!

Anyone know of an "orphan" Pasco rear hub puller that needs a caring home ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 10:28 am:

Is it possible that floor mat is original?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 05:01 pm:

Are those tires 30X3 all the way around?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 11:11 pm:

In the trunk are side curtains with somewhat yellowed windows. the leatherette seems not too bad. Also in the trunk is a brass single tube air pump, a jack, and a wrench that fits both Pasco outer and inner hubcaps. There is no writing on the wrench so I assume it is not original. The tires are "Olympic" 30 x 3 1/2 all the way around. They are pretty well checked and the spare doesn't hold air. The others had 15-25 lbs each until I aired them to 50. It overheated on the test drive and I mentioned I may need a new radiator to the dealer, as well as needing to tear into the rear to remove the babbit thrust washers. On getting it home, it only needed 2 gallons of antifreeze and I found the lower radiator hose had a small leak. There was no overheating on adding water. The hoses are old and need replacing. The brake band barely worked on hitting the floor, and the low speed band not much better, but the cotton Scandia style linings work pretty well once they were adjusted up. I haven't checked compression yet but the engine runs smooth and seems to have adequate power for driving in town. I haven't taken it out of town yet. I think I'll put one of Regan's voltage regulators on it also, before I wish I had. Since I tapped out my "play money" on this, I need to wait on the brakes for a bit, but am looking seriously at the AC's as they work in reverse as well as forward. My touring has Rocky's and I have a set of large drum Rocky's to put on the 26 coupe. Also will need electric turn and stop signals like my other cars as I drive in city traffic and don't trust folks to remember hand signals. Teresa and I are happy with the addition. She says I'm like a kid with a new toy!
Thanks for the encouragement and comments.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration