Running Board Blocks?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Running Board Blocks?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 12:05 am:

Was doing some re-assembly on the '25 coupe, and now have a question: Are there supposed to be blocks between the running boards and their supports? (There were none when I initially took it apart.) Looking in the catalogs, I see 'blocks' identified next to 'running boards'.. If so, could I make them myself? Perhaps even using Mylar, since I'm not concerned as to be a "purist"?? (No future rust or rot.) Dad's TT doesn't reveal any evidence of ever having blocks, either. Any difference? Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 12:14 am:

Sure you could make your own. Make them just a little thicker then the depth of the running board channel and maybe an inch wide. Except for the very early T's, all T's and TT's had them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 12:21 am:

Thank you, Mark!
Would there be any advantage, or too much 'give' to make them out of hard rubber? (I can hear Burger's reply already!) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 01:08 am:

Yep, supposed to be something in between as far as I know. :-) And I know nothin'. :-)
I'm in the correct space of mind right now Marv and I can see where hard rubber or Mylar might be one "end all" solution. No squeaks if things loosened up perhaps.
Boom done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 03:43 am:

Marv, the wood ones that the vendors sell would probably way out last both you and me. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 11:31 am:

You really don't want to use too soft a material. They should really not give when you step on them. That's what the job of the running board iron's/supports is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 12:04 pm:

Am hearing all of you! Eliminate rust, rot, squeaks, but wonder about durability. And Dave, I agree that vendor product would likely outlast me. On the farm, we couldn't always wait for parts or someone else - We had to 'figgur tings owt'! It's the challenge of the situation, and where to find an appropriate material....? Wood would be a simple answer. (And, there's 'lotsa-oak' I've saved along the way.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 12:16 pm:

Suggest you purchase the blocks from R.V. Anderson's brother.

They are faithful reproductions of the originals

J.P. Anderson Antique Automobile Wood Specialties
2571 Gerry-Ellington Road
Gerry, NY 14740
716-985-5880

The price list I have from fall of 2015 was $6.00 for a set of four.

Don't waste your time with plastic or rubber. The engineers at Ford Motor Co. already did the thinking for you 100 years ago. They knew what they were doing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 01:27 pm:

Thanks, Erik. It proves again "We're never too old to learn what we don't know!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

The blocks that are cheaply available are well made and work well.
As D. Stroud suggested they will last the next 50 years and longer than a lot of folks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 10:42 pm:

I use plastic deck board material for these (and other) blocks, dimensionally stable, does not rot and absorbs little water. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 01:06 am:

All of the blocks that Ford used on the T were made from HARD MAPLE which is a very hard wood that is also rather dense. It doesn't plane real easily but otherwise makes for a very strong and not easily crushed spacer block.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration