Will 1925 21" wheels fit on my 1924?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Will 1925 21" wheels fit on my 1924?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

Is there a chart or does anyone know if any adapters are needed to put 21 inch wheels from a 1925 onto my 1924?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 02:21 pm:

If the brake drum on the 21's is the small one, leave them on and then it is a quick and duck soup swap-out, provided your other wheels want to come off the axles/spindles...

If you have to swap out brake drums...large for small...then be sure to check the nut/bolt tip extension into the brake area...they have to be ground near flush AND heavily peened.

If the old wheels are stubborn coming off, check back, there are easy ways to get them off, and harder ways to get them off, but they ALWAYS come off :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 03:28 pm:

Ha!

Thx! So far I haven't been able to remove the squeaky rear wheel so I have doused it with boiled linseed oil.

Hoping tp resolve this soon so I can drive it again!

Had an offer 4 hours away but haven't found a free day that matched his yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 04:40 pm:

If a rear wheel you can undo the axle nut a turn or so...slide the cotter back in, drive around the block...known to loosen 'em.

You can put a 3 jaw on them if there is enough 'lip' and torque it up super tight, whack it with a big maul and by day 3 or 4 they usually pop.

See if someone local has a real Ford wheel screw on wheel puller...the repros ain't cheap...but they do work real good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 04:55 pm:

I've done the drive around the block with the axle nut loosened one turn and doing a few easy S's. Popped right off back in the garage. Did you decide on wire wheels??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

If you get the Ford wheel puller or one of the current reproductions, make sure your hub threads are good so that you can screw the puller down all the way. Jack up the opposite wheel and leave the wheel that you're trying to loosen on the ground.

When you've tightened the big center bolt down real tight and it's time to hit the end of the bolt with a hammer, don't just use a regular claw hammer, use a substantial hand sledge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 08:55 pm:

I'm still undecided. I guess it depends on what I find first that works!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration