Update on " My Front end adventures"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Update on " My Front end adventures"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 02:19 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/661435.html?1469288237
I want to thank the forum members for their advice and concerns to this thread last July. After attention to some looseness at the tie rod and wishbone caps, I still has my shimmy. I found the caster to be right. My last option was to put new king pin bushings in. This turned out to be the cure.

The spindle bolts had .002 wear. By making a pilot shaft for an adjustable reamer I was able to ream the bushings just under .500. This allowed the threads and body to slide through the bushings and give a good fit to the wear area.

After some driving the Shimmy is gone and the steering is snug but not overly tight.

In addition. comments were made of my poor choice of using concrete blocks to hold the chassis up. I took your comments to heart and bought some proper jack stands.

As always the Forum is a good place to bring up these subjects. Thanks again.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 02:25 pm:

Glad to hear you found the cause and fixed it!

Keep them well oiled and they'll last a long time.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

Good moves Rich---especially that last photo! We want to keep guys like you around, not squished!
:-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration