Ring and pinion for model t speedster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ring and pinion for model t speedster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Anderson on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 04:42 pm:

I would like to know what would be the best ring and pinion gear for my 1926 Model T speedster; for the Newport Indiana Hill Climb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 05:05 pm:

I would like to help but I need more info on your car. Some things that determine proper ring and pinion are
Body type
Speed desired
Acceleration desired
Engine mods
Trans mods

If the car is mostly stock and the climb short with no aux trans/axle then 4:1. If youve got a stripped down T with a hot engine and stock trans you may be able to push 3:1. If your running a warford with a massive underdrive, well you get the idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

In my humble opinion, the braking system should be decided first. If you are going to use Rocky Mountain brakes, or the equivalent, then go for the gear ratio that gives you the most speed. But if you are using the the stock Ford braking system, then you should stick with either Ford 3.63-1 or Ford 4 to 1 gear ratios.

Model T owners tend to out drive their braking system, which can result in a nasty accident.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 05:18 pm:

Trent, I'm not sure if this would be for regular driving as well or just the single hill climb mentioned. As far as braking no matter how good your T brakes are they will never be comparable to brakes in a modern car and one must be very concious of this while driving a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 06:05 pm:

Mark, I would use the 4 to 1 or 10 tooth pinion gear, I did the Newport hill in my 24 Fordor just for fun ,not speed and went up the hill just fine in high so in a speedster that would give you a few more engine revs, just my opinion.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

Some of us have 4 wheel brakes on out T's. Repos of original accessory ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

Have you seen Newport hill climb. How competitive do you want to be? Not a guess on my part but if you really want to be competitive I would run a nine tooth pinion for 444 to 1 gearing. Standard, 3 to 1 and even 4 to 1 ain't going to make a good showing and I don't care how hot an engine you got.
Good luck, hope to see you there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

Do you have a ruckstell? Is it a 10th mile? How much grade? If you haven't run it before, run what you've got and see how you do. Might surprise you.

Andy

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration