5:1 OR 7:1 TT REAR END RATIO (How many licks to the center)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 5:1 OR 7:1 TT REAR END RATIO (How many licks to the center)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Sebaugh in Jackson, Missouri on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

I have a question. If I was walking through the woods and ran across a TT rear end and wanted to know if it was a 5:1 or 7:1 ratio rear end, how many turns of the drive shaft to make the rear axle make two revolutions? I know you can crank the engine over and find out but what about the drive shaft, is it the same or different procedure? I other words, (How many licks to the center of a tootsie pop?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 09:25 pm:

To make the rear axle turn 2 times would take 10 turns of the driveshaft on a 5:1, and 14 turns on a 7:1 assuming both wheel sides are turning together.

If one wheel is not rotating and only one side is turning it would take 5 turns of the driveshaft to have the one wheel side turn 2 times for a 5:1 and 7 turns for a 7:1.

-Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, September 22, 2016 - 09:37 pm:

Well my experience in gathering rear ends is this.
If you find it in the woods, it is a 7 to 1. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 12:05 am:

So ... how many chucks could a woodchuck chuck ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 07:32 am:

That's funny, Mack!:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 08:47 am:

I think you just put the end cap and count the teeth on the pinion gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 11:30 am:

I may be wrong but I think Joe has it wrong way round, with one wheel moving it will be 14 and with both turning, it will need only 7.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee Thomas R. Hicks Central Va. on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 11:36 am:

Install it on your TT.
Set throttle at 2000 rpm.
Push down clutch into low gear.
If your partner has to hold up two sticks correctly aligned to see if you are moving, it is a 7.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 11:39 am:

I think you can even just count the teeth on the worm gear. There was a recent post on this. A lot less counting than the pinion :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

I found my high speed gears in the woods! Also pulled a low speed Ruckstell from the woods. Current project is to combine them. Bring the rear end home and see if you've one the lottery!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 04:56 pm:

Four starts (Teeth) on the worm of a 7.25:1 and 6 on the 5-1/6:1.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration