Warped head possibility?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Warped head possibility?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 12:27 am:

I want to change the two piece valves for the solid ones. What are the odds that when I take the head off it's warped? Also do the head bolts break easily when trying to remove?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 12:53 am:

What are the chances are that it's not? You will not know till you have it off and check it.
Yes you can snap off the head bolts. Don't strong arm the wrench, don't use a cheater bar. Take is slow and steady.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 01:20 am:

Maybe some PB Blaster?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 08:30 am:

Kroil is my friend to help loosen parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 09:16 am:

It's very rare to break Model T head bolts when loosening them - it's when tightening them too tight they can break..
Original cast iron heads are rarely warped, while high compression aluminum heads might.. But that's fixable, just like broken bolts - it's just another inconvenience on the road to a better running and more reliable T :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 10:28 am:

Use air impact wrench on low setting to jar loose

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 11:55 am:

A couple of years ago I pulled the head on my T just for a looksee. I have no reason to believe that it had been off previously. I had no problem with the head bolts. I did replace a couple of them because I didn't like the look of their threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 01:56 pm:

Mr Frugal Finishes First! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 10:02 am:

If your head is not leaking, it probable is fine. A head being warped has never been a problem, just bolt it back on and presto it is un-warped. If it has some sort of deterioration on the sealing surfaces,then there is problem. Now lets think about an over head cam setup that is warped ,if you should mill the head flat, think of what it would do to the alignment of the cam shaft. If you put a head on some blocks at each end and use a dial indicator to check deflection, just standing in the middle of it will deflect it, so how much weight are you adding by bolting it down . MOST HEADS DON'T NEED TO BE MILLED BECAUSE OF WARP-AGE. My brother had a Honda with a warped head (over heated horribly) Of course no money for machine work or exchange. You couldn't move the camshaft freely, I re-installed it with a new gasket and all was well. Just saying

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration