Old photo, what are these cars?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old photo, what are these cars?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 12:35 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 05:35 am:

Extinct!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 07:03 am:

The Gladstone was in Queensland NSW. No idea what brand of cars but likely British.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 08:55 am:

LMBU Bill!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 08:56 am:

Nice picture, now that I'm done laughing. Cool building, but ever notice how many old houses/buildings never had window screens? Some did, but a lot didn't. Imagine the flies and bugs! Yuck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 09:08 am:

The need for window screens varies greatly in different climates. We can have both doors and windows open all day summertime most years here in southern Sweden without much risk for flies and bugs. (might be different next to a cow pasture..)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 09:27 am:

Roger, forgot about that aspect. I guess in Hawaii they seldom need them too. Given what few trees I can see-and they look to be pine...I would say this would be "bug territory" though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Letcher - Eugene Oregon on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 10:01 am:

Was stationed 33 months on Guam (Anderson AFB 61-62-63) never had a screen, but had a few Geckos who took care of all flying/crawling insects.

Rod

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 11:27 am:

I lived in England for the first 28 years of my life and never saw a window screen. It was only when I arrived in New York that I first needed them....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

Darracq service cars and a 'flying fifteen' Darracq.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 03:30 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 03:37 pm:

Mt Cook Darracq Service car, New Zealand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 03:44 pm:

Not extinct Bill. Two of the Mt Cook service cars still exist. One is owned by the Mt Cook Hermitage and the other by the Southland Branch of the Vintage Car Club of New Zealand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

The Gladstone Hotel still exists in Fairlie. On the way to Mount Cook.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 05:32 pm:

Good spotting Nevin, your correct this Gladston Hotel is in "Fairlie" NZ.
No need for fly screens in this part of New Zealand Tim, most houses don't have or need them.
So they are Darracq cars, good to hear they survived, thanks Nevin.
Photo was courtesy of the Fairlie Heritage Archives.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 05:57 pm:

Flies and bugs in the house is a difficult to predict, and somewhat counter-intuitive, issue. I grew up in the suburbs of San Jose Califunny, flies were terrible in the house. Twenty-five years in Livermore (near pastures and wineries) weren't nearly so bad. Four years in Ferndale Califunny surrounded by cows we hardly ever saw a fly in the house, and had no screens. I came to the conclusion that with so many cows around, the flies had places they would rather be than in our house.
Ambient temperatures make a big difference to flies also.

Love the Darracq automobiles!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 06:53 pm:

Think I'll move to NZ Kevin. I like the idea of no bugs & no screens diminishing the view out the window.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 09:14 pm:

I have some bumble bees that like coming in the house, but you just don't see screen doors where I live. I think that in the south here, the winter frosts kill a lot of insects off. Flies are only a minor pest in the hottest months in summer.

Visiting my grandparents in the north island in the 1970's was like being in a different world. I couldn't walk without standing on ants. You just don't see them here.

My father had the bones of some flying fifteen (HP) Darracqs. When he passed on, I realized the project was beyond my abilities, and the parts have helped get a few cars on the road in NZ and Australia.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration