Old Photo - Scrap Yard Pre WW2

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Scrap Yard Pre WW2
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 11:17 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 11:40 am:

Are you sure it's pre-war? Look at the sign on the car in the middle of the page, I would say the photo was taken shortly after Pearl Harbor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

Is that sign on a rather nice 1929 Buick sedan?
TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 01:39 pm:

I'm a gearhead and a sci fi fan so I would love to go back in time and pick out a few cars to take back with me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 01:40 pm:

and some parts!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 02:38 pm:

hell i want all of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 03:43 pm:

Why wish for a loaf of bread when you can wish for the grocery store?

From a nice business to a gold mine. Wonder how much the prices went up?

During the war my dad had a part time job honing out engine cylinders to take oversize rings. Seems standard ring sizes were unavailable but oversize ones were.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tt newbee Thomas R. Hicks Central Va. on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 05:06 pm:

Maybe after Pearl harbour? The sign on the car appears to say, "My duty now is to lick the Japs."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 08:04 pm:

He must have got in trouble during his last duty. Now he has to "lick the japs". I wonder how they taste? Look at that poor little old car near the front. Been picked over pretty good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 10:46 pm:

I think all those cars ended up on Japan.

As bombs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 10:53 pm:

How can you guys get all excited over this wrecking yard ? I only see one Model T !

The car with the sign does look like a '29 Buick, but I dunno . . . I can't make out the radiator "scallop", and the hood line seems wrong, but it sure does resemble one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 10:54 pm:

Love to be able to go back to that junkyard with our current wages. You would leave with great parts and money left over. Very cool pic. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 08:10 am:

Looks like it's somewhere in Detroit. The large building in the background says, "Detroit Warehouse" and above that it looks like it says "Montgomery Ward."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

Many cars were scrapped during WW II so the metal could be recycled. These old cars might have been waiting for the crusher.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 12:10 pm:

Many old cars were crushed so the metal could be salvaged and reused for tanks, ships, aircraft,etc used in WW II. These cars might be waiting for such. Hence the sign on that car.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 04:46 pm:

If you go back to that junk yard be sure you have 40's dated money. But by the time you found some and paid for it the deals may not be so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 11:04 pm:

Rich,I think that you are right, 1930 Buick. In '30 they dropped the pregnant "scalloped" look... the three bar bumper also. This one has the two bar bumpers (1929 export models did have the 2 bar bumper). I think the 1931 looks identical to this one and is considered a classic by the classic car folks.

I would happily pony up the junkyard price... in 1940's dollars. I suppose I couldn't find '40's currency and pulling metal from the recycler just wasn't done in the early '40's.

TH

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration