Ruckstell & 3:1 gears

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ruckstell & 3:1 gears
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael D Peterson on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 11:24 am:

Hello all...
Been away from the forum a while, but with the Aircraft Carriers out of the shipyard in our area, work has slowed down enough, for me to get back to some of the projects.

A year ago (yes, it's been a while), while driving my 1915 Touring, the rear axle 'locked'. Car started hopping down the road, and in/out of incoming traffic. Luckily, I was only doing about 35mph, and I stayed upright, and came to a stop on the side of the highway.

During disassembly, I found the ring gear, in 7 pieces. 39 teeth on the ring gear. 13 on the pinion. Luckily, one of our local T Club members, had a set of gears, he had in one of his cars, for a short period, then went back to original. So, I have replaced the parts in my rear end.

During reassembly, I was asked 'Are you sure, you want the 3:1 ratio, in your Touring?'

I hadn't given it much thought. Just put back in, what I had taken out.

I never really had any issues, climbing hills, and liked the speeds I was able to maintain on level ground.

Was curious, what you all thought. Keep the 3:1 gears, or go back to what Henry Ford put in there.

I can't figure out the sliding gear assembly, so for right now, it's still sitting on a bench, in my garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Seelman on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 11:46 am:

I asked the same question here a few months ago and got a wide range of opinions.
I put 3:1 in this past spring. I use more low gear as you would think, and the rpm in high is noticeably lower at the same speed. I also put on a set of AC brakes.
I live in a relatively flat area and they fine. If you are driving with other T's, i was told that it will be hard to stay with them if they have the standard set up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

Three to one gears are just fine in a T. Simply shift into low Ruckstell the few times you must do so. It's no biggy. I have had four T's with 3 to 1 gears and a Ruckstell. It' the best of everything. And yes I always have accessory brakes. Almost killed the family before I learned how important that is. I changed the color of the seats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 02:05 pm:

While on the topic of 3:1 are 3:1 ruxtel the same gears as T 3:1?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 04:06 pm:

Chadwick - same same

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 04:14 pm:

I have one of my 3 cars with 3:1. It is a roadster so it is lighter than the touring. It runs along just fine except when starting out on the slightest hill. Must go to Ruckstell/low or it is very hard on the low band. Once it gets rolling, it goes just fine. It actually pulls some hills faster than those with standard gearing. I go about 30 MPH up a 6% grade while the others go about 25 MPH. This leads me to use Ruckstell when going uphill on tours.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 02:15 am:

Chadwick,

Original Ruckstell 3:1 gears were not actually 3:1. They had a 13 tooth pinion and a 40 tooth ring gear, making a 3.08:1 ratio. For many years, 13/39 ring and pin ions have been all that is available new, but I believe that Chaffin's is now, or soon will be offering them in 13/40 again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 11:12 pm:

Eric, I had a 13-39 out of my first Ruckstell when I was 14. It had a broken tooth on the pinion, and 3 on the ring gear.

Both gears were stamped Ruckstell.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 01:05 am:

Thanks for the clarification. I thought I remembered something was different and as I loaned/gave my 3:1 set to my mom from my ruxtel parts I will eventually have to replace it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration