Engine surges with no smooth acceleration

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Engine surges with no smooth acceleration
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 08:24 pm:

I just replaced the head gasket and the exhaust and intake gaskets on the 25 huckster. The car starts ok but I can't get smooth acceleration, the engine seems to surge. I re-torqued the head bolts this morning and reset the timing but no help. Can anybody tell me what I am missing or what the problem I might have?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

Harvey, did the problem just begin after you installed the new gaskets? If so i would check to see if the intake manifold gaskets are leaking. Its easy for them to get a little cock-eyed during installation and still have it bolt up like its OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 07:05 am:

I was having the same problem before I changed the gaskets. Just sitting, when I rev the engine it sounds like it hesitates.Is there a way to test for intake manifold leaks without taking the manifold off? Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 08:58 am:

You can spray WD-40 around the intake connections. The engine will change speed if you have a leak.

All the symptoms are consistent with an intake leak of some sort. You could have a cracked intake or engine block too which might have a leak somewhere that you don't expect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 09:26 am:

Thanks Royce, Once it warms up this morning I'll give the WD-40 a try Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 10:47 pm:

couldn't find any gasket leaks so I removed and re assembled the intake and exhaust manifolds. re-timed the engine for the third time, still have the problem. The unit starts right up but when I pull the throttle handle it shudders and misses. I replaced the coils with an old set and no change. When I had the head off I checked all valves and all seemed to be fine. I don't know where to go from here. Any and all help will be appreciated Harv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 11:01 pm:

Harvey
Timer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke----central TX. on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 11:18 pm:

When our lawn mower surges, usually adjusting the carburetor fixes it. A T is a little different than a lawn mower though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

Thanks to all who responded with ideas. I tried almost everything, cleaned timer and adjusted timing. removed head and cleaned and removed any carbon, new head gasket. In desperation I removed the carburetor and opened it to check the needle and seat. I removed a small piece of debris stuck on the needle tip the vehicle now seems to run much smoother and accelerates ok. It was a learning experience. Thanks again to all. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 07:15 pm:

Thanks for the follow-up and glad you found the cause. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 08:32 pm:

Glad to hear it running good.
Mine will be as soon as I rebuild a couple coils

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration