Snyders dash light

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Snyders dash light
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 10:09 pm:

I ordered a dash light for my 1927 Tudor from Snyders. The ad said he holes were not a perfect fit, but the holes are not a fit at all. Anyone have experience with this light? What did you do? Use 1 screw? Drill? Are there better 6v dash lamps available somewhere? Thx.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 12:15 am:

The main thing you need to know is what a 25-27 dash light looks like. Chances are the holes are for the correct light, but perhaps they are not! Do your homework!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 07:11 am:

This might be useful - light

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/607127.html?1453741176

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 07:39 am:

Seems my light looks right but the base is too small. I can't reach both mounting holes. I have a 27 Tudor, so the light was standard equipment. The placement is stock. Just need to find the right light to mount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Horton, Utah on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 08:01 am:

Had the same problem. The holes in the dash were 1 7/16th inch, center to center, if I remember correctly and the replacement that I bought was smaller. Since the dash had been painted and installed, drilling new holes was not a good option. I posted a WTB dash light with the correct sized holes and got a response from Royce in Texas that fit. They are out there, you just need to find one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 08:25 am:

What Ron said. Place an ad for a good useable dash light with properly spaced holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 08:46 am:

The one from Snyders is a reproduction for a Jeep. NQR for a Model T. You can get them on eBay cheaper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 10:03 am:

Thanks guys. I'm sure this part won't be the last $30 bill I flush down the toilet on this car! Cost of doing business, as the saying goes.

Anyone need a Jeep dash lamp? Selling cheap!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 10:28 am:

There are several repo parts that all the vendors sell that aren't exactly as an original. Some take more modification to fit correctly than others. This is one of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 11:02 am:

"The ad said the holes were not a perfect fit"

Translation - bogus, spurious, deceptive, misleading! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 11:38 am:

Yup - lesson learned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 01:22 pm:

Snyders will take it back!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 01:35 pm:

The ad is not misleading, bogus, spurious or deceptive. It says the holes are not a perfect fit. The truth is there was nothing available as a replacement until we found this light. It may need a little fitting to make it work and thousands of people have done that, but it does work and is a quality part. Would you rather have something that can be adapted or have nothing? No one can afford to manufacture an exact reproduction of this light. The tooling would be too expensive. So unless you have a better solution good luck looking for an original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By thomas elliott nw pa on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 03:19 pm:

Pretty nice light, mine from Langs, one dash hole was ok the other I drilled just off of original hole, but then I had THREE original holes, the third at the bottom, ! funny what 91 years can do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 03:47 pm:

I have seen many so called original dash lights. Most of them are different designs. So just be thankful we have a decent replacement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 06:16 pm:

I don't know how long ago you purchased the light from Snyder's, but see if they'll take it back and give you refund or credit. I used to have extras, all unrestored. I'd have to look for them, now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 09:55 pm:

I have seen dozens of different sizes, bolt/screw patterns, switches, mounting methods, you name it. I have had several, no two alike. Covers will not interchange directly. Many cars other than Ford came with them as standard equipment. Most of them I think were after-market, and I have seen enough ads for them to support that. Ford model T offered them only on the less than two years improved Fords, and they were not on all cars.
I have never looked at the ones offered by Snyder's or other vendors, but in the photo above? They look nice. And if I needed one, I would be grateful to get it. J B Weld and a dab of paint will fill an old mounting hole!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 10:03 pm:

The photo posted above looks like the correct one to me. I have three NOS dash lights in the original Ford boxes, and they look like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 06:16 am:

Mine looks like that, too, but the screws don't line up right. As Wayne mentions, there are tons of placements and patterns, but late model closed top cars - like mine - had these lights come as a factory installed option. So there is a standard. There should be a correct light for my 27 Tudor, unlike most T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 01:43 pm:

SNYDER'S BUYS THESE FROM US. SO BLAME US WE HAVE SOLD THOUSANDS OF THESE TO SATISFIED CUSTOMERS. ThEY ARE A GOOD QUALITY REPLACEMENT. IF YOU ARE UNHAPPY, FEEL FREE TO LOOK ELSEWHERE. if YOU FIND SOMETHING BETTER PLEASE LET US KNOW. GOOD LUCK.dashlight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 01:46 pm:

Glen, relax, buddy. It's nothing personal. The part is nice and for any car before 1926, I'm sure it would be fine. It just doesn't work for my application.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 02:11 pm:

Its easy to make an adaptor plate with flat head screws in the adaptor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

Eido, the dash light pictured above by Tom Bergmann, appears to be correct as Larry Smith said. A completely authentic repo dash light made to Ford blueprints, is not available. The original dash light didn't really have a mounting flange; but rather two small ears with mounting holes in the ears on each horizontal side. I would be glad to look and see if I have an extra. All Ford dash lights that I have ever had or seen were and fit exactly the same. They were standard on all body styles of enclosed 26-27 cars.

While on this subject, I have seen articles before that discussed the possibility that some original Ford dash lights may have been factory nickle plated (the entire light; not just the cover), although 99 % + were painted black. I have one such nickle plated light. I'd like feedback from the Forum experts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 04:46 pm:

Eido

Finding original Ford dash lamps for the Improved Car is pretty difficult, esp. to find then in usable shape. Most times the covers are gone, and the shell is fractured from age cracks.

The one on the left is likely OK to use, but has to be carefully removed from the alum. mounting plate someone made to adapt the Ford lamp to some other vehicle or maybe a boat or plane.

The really good news is you have Glen's nice reproduction, and the cap on Glen's is ideal replacement for the hard to find caps for the Ford. Glen's design on the cap has a split slit, and a tiny divot to provide a locking method to secure the removable cap. Nice!

So search for an original, but keep that new cap handy, as any Ford dash lamp you will find is missing the cap or else the cap is fractured at the rim and won't hold on the dash lamp!

Glen's cap on original Ford dash lamp...LIKE :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 07:12 pm:

Dan, the other part that I know of that can be used off the current available light and others like it is the On-Off handle. The original Ford handle is usually shorter in length than any others I have run across, but I haven't found one yet that the threads weren't the same.

Also, lights similar to the one Chaffins and Snyders sell, I have seen used in certain year production of truck tractors. I have seen similar dash lights used on the dashes of Kenworths, Freightliners, and Peterbuilts. My brothers Peterbuilt had one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

Bob's Jewelled Dash Light fits our dash light perfectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 10:52 pm:

Glen, that is true.Bob's jeweled cover fit perfectly on the original light AND the light that you sell. Also the original jeweled covers (I have one) fit both lights perfectly.

Eido, I looked tonight at one of my two parts storage places and didn't find the dash lights. They may be at my other storage place because I know that I wouldn't have sold the NOS one or the nickle plated one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 12:02 pm:

The dashlights shown above are very different and must be aftermarket lamps. The Ford 1928 parts catalog shows a lamp P/N 5761X that looks just like ours. There may be some slight measurement deviations but it looks like ours. I was happy to find this lamp as we had nothing before I found it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 07:41 pm:

Glen, as Dan has mentioned above, your replacement lamp cover fits many of the original lamps, allowing them to be put into service. Would you consider making the covers available as a separate item? Thank you Tom cover

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

They look a lot like this one, except the base is different.
http://www.partdeal.com/cole-hersee-m-451-bx.html

I have one, still in the box, bought it at a marina, years ago

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 10:57 pm:

Tom,

The cost for the die to make just the cover alone who set the retail price at or above the retail price for the entire light assembly. As previously mentioned, Chaffin,s does not make the light assembly. It was one found for use in another application that just happens to be similar to that used on a Model T. The small volume of sales does not justify the cost of the tooling. I learned that lesson the hard way with the RAJO head venture. It's been eight years and I am still trying to recover the cost of patterns, tooling, CNC programming, and fixtures. In excess of $100,000. In the end though, it has been a very rewarding experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 03:54 am:

Mark,
Apologies', I missed the part that says Chaffin's do not make the light assemblies. "We found this light" If one just needs a cover, the cost of the whole new unit is still very reasonable. Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 09:10 am:

Tom,

No apologies necessary. Just a little information. That's the trouble with texting, sometimes you're meaning is misconstrued.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 09:40 am:

Glen, Mark, Thanks for making the replacement lights available. I used the internal electrical insert to repair my original '27 Touring dash light.

Things could be worse; you could be relentlessly dogged by a despicable forum troll spewing lies about your good products to deter interest and sales after years of investment, research and development.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 10:10 am:

Eido: Why don't you post a picture of the existing hole in your dash board? We might be able to help you better then. The photo Tom posted from Australia above is the correct dash light, but is not mounted in the usual Ford place. That is way a photo of your dash would help. I could post a photo of one of my originals, but I hate taking pictures!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 10:40 am:

Just to fully show the Ford accessory dash lamp, here are some details from Ford adv. and from original remains on a T. The Ford dash lamp is a short stubby like lamp, with lever switch, and flange mounted.

The cap is rather short too, and many times the rim part, since it is close to the window opening, gets split from age and won't hold.

The repro lamp will fit most any T's or other antiques, and is best avail for flange mount, but the Ford accessory dash lamp is a different design.

Introduced to in 1924 as accessory sold by Ford dealers. Note copy line "raven finish"

Change for the Improved car was nickel finish on cap and body of dash lamp. Note copy line "finish to match other instruments" i.e. nickel.

Aug. 5, 1928 Price List of Parts, p.44, shows this lamp p/n5716-X just like since 1924 introduction.

Accessory, non-Ford dash lamps abound in the twenties period for putting lamps on auto dashes. Many flange mount style, and post mount styles too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 10:43 am:

Same thing happened to me when I ordered one from Langs. I only needed the top half because the base is still in the dash, but the parts are not interchangeable and it looks like I will have to cut the dash to fit the new one. Not doing that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 10:55 am:

Here are some photos I took way back of a NOS Ford dash light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 10:59 am:

The photo that Dan posted above of a parts car dash board shows where the dash light is supposed to be mounted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

People just don't realize that it costs thousands of dollars to make tooling to make parts. Yes we try to copy the original part as close as possible but sometimes it is just not cost effective. The problem is most people are not willing to pay the price but they are sure willing to complain about the part. If the dealers were not willing to make the investment you would not have any parts to choose from just like all of the other non-Ford car hobbyists. So learn to appreciate what you have and if you are not happy you are sure welcome to invest your money. We do not make the dash light, just found it and made it available so we have no control on making just the cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Laughary on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 04:19 pm:

To be fair, I think Lang's warned me that it was not a copy. That's ok if I figure out how to mount it without cutting the dash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 10:14 pm:

I can make a template for anyone who wishes. I've spoken with several 26-7 guys, and some seem to think Ford offered a nickel plated unit. I sure hope they did, but I've yet to see one, and I've got three NOS units here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 04:45 am:

Larry, As I stated above I have one NOS dash light (no box) and one used nickle plated light. When I lay my hands on them, I'll post a picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 09:21 am:

Listen, I wasn't knocking Snyder's and I'm not knocking Glen. I just want a light that fits. That's all. The name calling and aggression is completely unnecessary. My request was completely innocent. I'm simply looking for a dash light that fits my 1927 Tudor. That's it. Nothing more to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

No offence Eido. Sorry there is nothing that works for you. It works for a lot of other people so we are happy. Wish we could help. Glen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

lightIf you didn't have a hole to fill and didn't want to drill any holes, then this would work. If you could find one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 05:21 am:

Here's one that mounts to the decklid, no dash holes needed. Over-the-shoulder convenience......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 09:35 am:

My first T was a '26 touring, and was missing the dash light. I found a nickel plated one that looked just like an original. As I recall, I had to file one of the holes slightly to get it to fit. Since I like original stuff, it seems to me that the original style are the easiest to find, but the covers on most of them are cracked. I wish Eido could post a photo of the cut out in his dash, then we could help him better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 07:48 pm:

Will there ever be an end to the variations in Model T Ford parts?.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration