Theatre Sound Guy needs help Western Mass.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Theatre Sound Guy needs help Western Mass.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Drone on Friday, September 23, 2016 - 11:55 pm:

Greetings Everyone,
I was contacted by a friend of mine who is needing to record a Model T. The is for a stage production of "Camping with Henry & Tom". Its a show about the camping trips Henry Ford and Thomas Edison used to take. If anyone in the Western Massachusetts can offer him some help please contact Brad directly. The message below is from him..

Hi everyone,
I'm not a Model T owner. I am a theatrical sound designer. I'm designing a play that I need specific recordings of the car for.
The car approaches, engine dies, and the electrical horn (some had some I hope!) dies out.
Getting the sound right would be awesome. I live in the Berkshire mountains of Western Mass.
Can anyone help me out?
Thanks!
Brad Berridge
brafberridge@me.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 12:35 am:

Hmm, IF Brad is being really historically correct, the type of horn would depend on the year of the T, Magneto horn for pre-battery/starter/generator model and Battery horn for later. The "horn dying out" seems to indicate magneto horn.
Of course for dramatics, an AhOOOgAA type horn would be more recognizable to the average audience, and such horns were available as aftermarket accessories.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 12:59 am:

Pat, That email doesn't work!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Jorgensen, Batavia, IL on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 07:41 am:

Our members have a lot of T and K videos on Utube that would provide the engine running sounds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 08:53 am:

"Pat, That email doesn't work!!"

Looking at the signature line,

Brad Berridge
brafberridge@me.com,

I'll hazard a guess that the email should be bradberridge@me.com. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Drone on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 01:26 pm:

Sorry Folks I have been in my garage not at a computer yesterday. Yes, You are correct his E-mail is bradberridge@me.com

I will try to edit to original post with the correct email. As for the type of horn. The show takes place in July of 1921. So, any horn that came on a Model T is usable. I personal am glad that they are trying to be historically accurate to the period.
I do hope someone can help him out. This is a good opportunity for the Model T community to share it's knowledge to those outside of it.

Brad say's in his part "I'm not a Model T owner."
Anytime someone says that to me. I think they should add the word "yet" to the end of the statement.

The people we help today, maybe the family we meet at the cruise or Old Car Festival.

For those who would like more info about these camping trips here is the website at The Henry Ford.

https://www.thehenryford.org/collections-and-research/digital-resources/popular- topics/the-vagabonds/

Thank you,
Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 02:55 pm:

It might be useful to know that the "Vagabonds" - Henry Ford, Harvey Firestone, John Burroughs and Thomas Edison - did not go camping in a Model T Ford. Henry typically had a chauffer driven Packard touring early on. After Ford bought Lincoln the car that was used would always be a Lincoln.

These were well planned affairs. Ford supplied a couple of cooks and a crew to erect tents, set out lawn chairs, and clean up after the wealthy industrialists and their guests.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Drone-Ypsilanti, MI on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 03:41 pm:

Royce, You are correct Henry used the bigger cars. He also, used his own train to get there. As, you can see from "The Henry Ford" website several of the chase vehicles were Model Ts. The play is a fictional play that is trying to remain historically accurate to the period. I'm sure if someone in the area or outside of it has a vintage Packard to record then they will use that sound effect. But, there are a few more vintage Model T's on the road then Packards. I applaud Brad for reaching out to the vintage car world to try and make the theatrical experience as real as possible for the audience. After all in this day and age there are very few people who can tell the difference between the sound of a Model T, a Packard or a VW Beetle. It's great that he's taking the time to reach out and gain knowledge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Drone-Ypsilanti, MI on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

Here is a picture from the trip in 1921 they are trying to recreate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 05:11 pm:

Looks like someone brought a Model T , which would not be unusual for members of the wait staff to drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 05:38 pm:

The battery horn didn't come out until early in 1922 so the horn you want to record is a magneto horn technically. They sound awful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

Related to this thread - the horn on my T doesn't sound great. Sort of a buzz at best. Maybe it's accurate, but what would be the "coolest" for driving around town in an old "T". Thinking ahooogah, but maybe not. I've also got an exhaust whistle which is a whole other thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Drone-Ypsilanti, MI on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 11:19 pm:

Charlie. Whatever you enjoy hearing. Don't let the puritans dictate what is on you car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 09:46 am:

Wrote the guy. We'll see if he responds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Drone-Ypsilanti, MI on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 03:06 pm:

Thank you Ron!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 03:38 pm:

No issue Patrick! We're in contact and trying to set something up for Sunday. His timeline is sort of tight however (needs it by next) and the weather is not looking good for this weekend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 03:44 pm:

Oops....should have been (needs it by next week)...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 04:26 pm:

We saw this play "Camping with Henry and Tom" about 10 years ago, and it was great! When we saw it at the Racine, WI Theater Guild, they had a real Model T Touring on the stage to add to the effect. There was a good plot and moral to the story also. I still have the playbill / poster from this on my garage wall.

Keith

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration