Adjusting clutch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Adjusting clutch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

Got the hogshead back on, buttoned down, but missed the clutch adjustment video I just found posted. ... showing to adjust the compressed spring to 2". It's pretty tough to measure now. The Ford Service Manual (Pgph 315) "Adjust the 3 clutch finger screws until there is a clearance of 13/16 (sorry ... I put 11/16 in photo) between lower side of clutch shift and drive plate shaft flange (Se Fig. 206)."
Fig 206 would have been a lot better if it showed the area being measured!
Here's my photo:
Clutch finger adjustment

All I can see through the inspection plate is what I assume is the drive plate shaft flange. Is the 13/16" measurment, then, from the rear-facing end of that flange, to the wring that the fingers push against? i.e. I should be able to measure 13/16 of open shaft between the two?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 07:11 pm:

I have found most of the time there is a rivet right where I measure, I just do the 13/16 to that. A little more pressure will not be that big a deal esp when there is only one slot. You measure with the clutch engaged. :-)

The 2 inch is to check strength of the spring and has nothing to do with setting the clutch fingers. (when compressed to 2 inches it take 90 to 100+ pounds to do so, 90 being on the very, very low end 100+ is better)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 07:24 pm:

Clutch engaged = brake lever forward, then, where the cam as dhoshiel@med.wayne.edu bold gas 'dropped' off the cam?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 07:45 pm:

"dhoshiel@med.wayne.edu bold gas 'dropped' off the cam?"

I think that is missing something? Lost in translation! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 09:01 pm:

Darn... looked fine before I hit send!: dang phone typing. I would rather get grease on my phone, then on my computer in the house!;-) should have read "
when the adjusting bolt just drops off the cam."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 10:14 pm:

The Kevlar bands should be even with the metal. They should be riveted from the ends inward to the middle. This requires working them inward pushing them into their self. The Kevlar bands will fit and are not too long when this procedure is used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

Some photos to help.

Neat little tool used to measure, the brass button end is 13/16" high.

The Kevlar linings look OK to me, the bit of overhang keeps the metal demountable ears from gouging into the drum surfaces anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

Yes... from what I read, overhang is d esireable. I did follow the 'zrivet from both ends to the biddle... with that big ol'loop on the middle" I was surprised it flattened out!

Ahh... the tool. Social tha Rd's where the measurement is... good deal. I was thinking it was on the end of the flange, toward the clutch... I cam make a tool like that, easy peasy!

Well... hopefulky, I'm armed enough to re-arrempt the clutch adjustment. I have all the other bits reattached, etc... tail pipe, heat sheild muffler, gas line, starter, new clutch clevis pin and yoke, magnpost and oil l I need, etc etc. Whew!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 10:42 pm:

Dennis

Oh, just noticed you have the demountable ears on the passenger side, they should be on the left, as the bands are pulled out from the inspection cover from the right. Now you won't easily be able to change bands thru the inspection cover.

Demountable ear removed, for band to slide in from the right, and rotate up from the left with install.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 11:05 pm:

Yes... from what I read, overhang is d esireable. I did follow the 'zrivet from both ends to the biddle... with that big ol'loop on the middle" I was surprised it flattened out!

Ahh... the tool. Social tha Rd's where the measurement is... good deal. I was thinking it was on the end of the flange, toward the clutch... I cam make a tool like that, easy peasy!

Well... hopefulky, I'm armed enough to re-arrempt the clutch adjustment. I have all the other bits reattached, etc... tail pipe, heat sheild muffler, gas line, starter, new clutch clevis pin and yoke, magnpost and oil l I need, etc etc. Whew!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 11:11 pm:

Sorry for the re-post... if I was going to do THAT... I should have fixed the poor texting...

Ohhh.. bummer on the band ears...I put them back the way I pulled then out.... should have known!! Hopefully, they will last longer than me! Oh..wait....maybe not!!@ lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 08:54 am:

Use a 13/16" lug nut as a go - no go gauge.

The 2" measurement is a fantasy concocted by nobody knows who. Not a valid measurement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 09:22 am:

Perfect.... I'll add a pie x erwin of string for ol' FumbleFingers, here...

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 09:23 am:

Arggg... 'add a piece of string'......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 07:49 pm:

13/16" tool version 2,0496...
From leftover turn signal lever attachment band material. Total time 6 min... worked like a champ! 13/16 measurement tool

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration