My First Magneto crank start....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: My First Magneto crank start....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Menkhaus on Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

Today I was asked to bring my '22 Touring to a local Home Depot car show by another car friend, and I told him I would.

I haven't driven the '22 in a bit, so last night I decided to 'quick check' the battery, by turning on the lights. They came on no problem, but even being 6 volt I thought they looked a little dim.

So, I threw on the cheapy HF Chicago electric charger I have, (and have had for years) and went to bed.

Woke up this morning to a completely dead battery. huh. OK, I can crank start it I guess. I've crank started several times over the years, and promptly pulled the crank while holding out the choke wire a few times, and then turned on the battery.

Yea, couple turns. Nothin.

Then it hit me. A dead battery produces no spark. Ok, let's try mag. Couple quick pulls, nothing.

Oh yea, needs to be spinning to work. Huh. OK, let's try not to break an arm here. Spark fully retarded, just a bit of gas, and give it a good spin. She fired right up! Woo-hoo! My first crank Magneto spark! Turns out I had to crank start it several times for the on-lookers today. I guess it's time to go battery shopping.. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 12:07 am:

If the mag is really good you don't have to spin. A good pull will do it. Unfortunately a lot of mags aren't that good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 12:56 am:

I had the same experience about a month ago. Battery problems left the car at a car show in a park about an hour from home. It's nice to know the car will start on magneto if I need it to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 04:42 am:

If the spark is set to the Ford recommendation of 15 degrees after TDC at full retard, then you may have to pull the timing lever down a few notches for starting on "Mag". For starting on Bat, full retard is always the rule.

(Message edited by Roger K on September 25, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 05:29 am:

Woohoo!
Mine wants me to "twist its tail" right now for starting too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Skingley ......Westland, Michigan on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 07:23 am:

Roger I have had the same results.........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 01:11 pm:

Spinning the motor all the way around with the crank is dangerous. I always start mine on mag but 1//4 or 1/2 turn at the time with the spark advanced some is all I ever do. Even if you have the spark all the way retarded there is always a risk, i think, that something could go wrong, then you have a broken arm. I used to do that about 20 years ago. I don't remember where I had the timing set, I'm sure I didn't even know how to set the timing, but I had it kick back on me and I'm glad I was to where all it did was jerk the crank out of my hand. I'll never spin one again, ever. You can get booster cables and hook to the batt terminal on the coil box to buzz the coils then when it starts switch to mag and get home. 12 volts might fry something so I don't know what all you need to unhook. I don't have a starter or generator, just a switch on the coil box. I'd get somebody to push me down a hill or something. Maybe I'm overly cautious but I need my arm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Hudson on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 02:44 pm:

I watched a guy on T-tube kick start his, said he had a bad shoulder and was use to kick starting motorcycles, well that's right up my alley so I tried it, seems easier for me. of course you wont spin the motor, just a half turn at a time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 02:57 pm:

Pushing the crank down with your foot is better than doing it with your hand because a kickback will break your leg instead of your arm. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 03:00 pm:

Starting on MAG is easier if you follow the standard drill:

1. With the key off, put the throttle at about 25% down, and the spark lever down about 3 clicks.
2. Pull the choke and pull up on the crank four times. This primes all the cylinders.
3. Turn the key to "MAG". A single pull up on the crank and the car will start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 03:04 pm:

I put a second battery under the backseat. Little jumper cables made with alligator clips and a 12V lantern battery. I think that is cheap insurance if I have that problem again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 03:08 pm:

Sorry, I meant 6V lantern battery I picked up at True Value.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Menkhaus on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 11:31 pm:

When I first got the engine in my car, the mag was no good. I rigged up a 12V Lawn and Tractor battery and connected it to the "Mag" switch on the car. Ran better than 6V. After I had the Mag fixed by Ron Miller, I didn't need the 12V battery I had under the back seat. I left it there though and connected a 12V Cigarette lighter socket to it, so I could power my GPS and Cell phone :-) Now that I think about it, maybe I could have used that to provide spark to the coils... of course, I know not to connect to the Mag which would fry it with it's DC power...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 12:26 am:

Would you run that by one more time?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 08:16 am:

Great to be able to mag start isn't it Doug! Pete, my '12 Comm. Rdstr. P/U can mag start dead cold engine as it has a real hot mag. And I always start it on mag when engine is hot. Just a nice tug and off he fires! Fun. The '15 will too, but takes a bit more effort as her engine really isn't hardly broke in yet. Don't drive her enough!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 09:44 am:

Got my first dead cold mag start after re-building & HCCTing the coils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 11:14 am:

I carry a 9 volt transistor radio battery with me when I travel with my 1942 Ford GPW, If I have a dead battery I connect the transistor battery to the coil and ground it, then start the jeep with the ignition off, the great thing about a generator is that it will charge a dead battery. After the car runs a few moments, I turn the key on, if the car does not die, I know I can remove the 9 volt battery and the battery in the car will be charging. I used a bit of duct tape to connect a 9 volt radio battery to the T and it works just as goo there, no need to carry an extra large battery, but do not carry the 9 volt in your pocket with change, as it tends to get real hot when it shorts out on the pocket change.
My car would not start on Mag until I had Ron tune my coils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 11:55 am:

Roger, My '27 will not start on either Bat or Mag with the spark fully retarded. I follow Ron Patterson's recommendation of about three notches of "advance". This is still a retarded spark - just not as far retarded.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 03:35 pm:

Gustaf,

On the jeep start of the transistor battery, surely the 9v battery cannot spin the starter with either the key switch or the foot starter switch. So I presume you still need to push the jeep to start it? Or do you hand crank it as well?

I've started my jeep with a dead battery by popping the clutch with a push or rolling down a hill and didn't need anything to power the coil as the rolling jeep spun the generator.

What does the 9v battery bring to the table? I've read on this forum about using a lantern battery to jump to the dead battery and start and run a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 12:23 am:

Hey Robert, The WWII military jeeps were all issued with a hand crank. I have started my jeeps with the crank more than I have with the starter. I owned one for 20 years before I learned that you had to have the heavy battery cables for the 6 volt system. I am so accustomed to hand starting vehicles that I had no problem with a non starter T. The T is a lot easier to start than the jeeps. In nearly 90 thousand miles logged on WWII vintage jeeps, I have pulled started only once and that was because I had installed a Carquest coil that failed in the first week of use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 01:31 am:

The first start on Mag is the best one! :-) Cool!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration