New engine is in but have a question?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: New engine is in but have a question?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 08:11 am:

I installed the engine last night but had to move the nose perch over a 1/2" off center to get the engine mount holes to aline with the frame holes. Do I leave it like that or move the perch back to center. Pan was nice and straight with the engine. So brackets could have been a little bent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 08:24 am:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 08:46 am:

I'm glade I put all the nuts and bolts in ziplock bags and labeled them 8 years and three kids through collages ago.
It might even be running this afternoon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 11:03 am:

To me it sounds like the support arms are a little out of line. I would recommend you not move the front mount as it locates the spring and moving it could upset the steering.
Install the two bolts on the arms and then move the nose to line up with the front mount in the center position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

YES, the mount has to be centered on the cross member!!
Did you check the frame for being square? If the pan AND arms are straight, it could be a bent frame!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

I don't know if this helps, but I learned to engage the drive shaft spline and leave the bolts off until I had the front and side motor mounts in place. I almost drilled new holes for the side mounts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 04:06 pm:

Thanks the holes were only off a 32nd. But enough I couldn't get the top bolts through.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

You definitely need to move the front motor mount so the nose of the pan sits in it without any binding. Whenever I install an engine, I loosen the bolts on the front mount so I can
1. install the pan in the recess of the motor mount and
2. install the ball of the wishbone in the pan socket. Only then do I tighten the nuts on the ubolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Haywood on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 10:45 am:

Took the bolts back out and centered every thing. Only had to drill the top frame holes a 1/16 bigger. Thanks for help everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 10:49 am:

Neil, I have found that using long taper punches to align the holes up helps a lot. They work pretty well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 12:58 pm:

Glad to hear that you re-positioned everything. You don't want to be putting any twisting loads into the pan if you can help it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH from Houston, TEXAS on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

And I thought I had problems getting the engine back in.
I almost lost a finger getting the spline of the drive shaft aligned but it dropped right in, shearing the harness wires in the process...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration