It ran great in the yard but but engine stumbled and quit on the street

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: It ran great in the yard but but engine stumbled and quit on the street
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 11:16 am:

Despite the occasional smoke it ran great in the yard going forwards and backwards for 100 feet. As soon as I took it out on the street, for the first time, it ran fine at first but then it start to stumble and backfire from the carburetor. Finally it stalled and would fire up again but with great difficulty.
Barely manage to get it back in the yard. After a little effort I had it running again with no problem.
Iíve cleaned all the wire connections, had the coil box out and cleaned all the contacts and cleaned the timer. It does not appear to be an ignition problem
Itís seems that the trouble starts when I hit bumps and make turns. I was thinking fuel starvation but why would it be hard to start when I stop moving, at that point it should start right up as soon as fuel reaches the carburetor. I have said before that it smokes occasionally but I donít think it is fouling the plugs and it smokes when it is not moving and runs fine.
Could it be the carburetor float setting? Flooding the carburetor making it difficult to restart?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 11:24 am:

Peter: what flavor carburetor are you running? Holley, kingston, wizard or vaporizer? does it have a standard needle jet of a grouse jet(SP?) have you adjusted the mixture?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 11:26 am:

Make sure that you have plenty of gas in the gas tank. I consider a Model T to be out of gas if there is only two gallons in the tank. Less than that and it starves on turns or the slightest hill.

Also make sure no one has installed any inline fuel filters. They don't work in a gravity fuel system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 11:32 am:

What you describe could be a float setting that's too low causing starvation under a load then it slows the bowl re-fills and it gets fuel again. That in itself wouldn't cause backfiring or hard starting because there would be enough fuel in the bowl to start. It's the backfiring and running poorly after bumps & turns that bothers me. By all means pull & check the plugs. You might get some indications from their condition. It really sounds like a loose electrical connection. Losing ignition then getting it back will definitely cause backfiring when it ignites un-burnt fuel. You have more checking to do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kirk on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 12:12 pm:

Kingston L carburetor with the flapper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 12:42 pm:

That sounds like an L-4 make sure you have this jet

not this one I put one in mine and it never ran good with it.

is this a pre or post 1926 (difference in where the gas tank is mounted)
and this drawing by Martin Vowell may help
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/375808.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration