Is this gear good enough?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Is this gear good enough?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 05:59 pm:

It doesn't look terribly worn to me, but what do I know? I'd like an opinion from more practiced eyes than mine. Is this low gear good enough to use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

It'll outlive all of us by far. Use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

It does show some wear but I would use it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

Not perfect but good enough to use. I do see some wear on one side and a bit of pitting. Really depends on your standards. I am pretty anal about mechanical stuff so I'd use another if I could find one better.
OTOH, it seems that wear on the triple gears vs wear on the drums is what creates a noisy transmission, so wear on your drum may not be an issue at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

Good for the next several years. For average use it will last many many years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

But, if you do not use the original triple gears the gear wasted with, the transmission will be noisier.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 08:13 pm:

the noise just lets bystanders know you are running an original transmission.
I kinda like that howl/whine when I hit the brake low or reverse pedal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 09:00 pm:

A little noise is OK. It's not a Packard. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 09:12 pm:

It is better than some I have put back in and then run well for over a decade and still going strong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, September 25, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

I'd run it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 03:08 am:

"A little noise is OK. It's not a Packard."
Says the man who owns one!

I would like better. But I have run worse.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 07:33 am:

Looks fine. Proceed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration