Entire model T collection for sale!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Entire model T collection for sale!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Amy on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 01:26 am:

Wonderful collection of prestigious cars. In great condition. After much consideration the family has decided to part with the cars. Some of you may know of Marven Roth. He was a very active collector and loved his cars. He was a perfectionist and enjoyed restoring cars to the original. He was well known locally as well as nationally for his knowledge on Model T's.

If you have interest please email me. Sorry photos were to large. Email me and I can send you photos.If you have specific interest in a car please contact me. Thank You!

It is an award winning touring car. It has been on numerous tours and has won many awards. It was on 60 minutes in the late 70's. This is very rare car (one of my personal favorites!)

Contact me for more information.
Cars available:
1915 Town Car
1913 Roadster
1914 Roadster
1911 Torpedo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 01:50 am:

Amy;
This should be in the classifieds. Also, you should post prices along with some description. You could also state if you have transferable titles, esp considering this is settling an estate. You might also say if you have paper work showing you have the legal right to sell the cars. Did you loose your password and login? Seem to recall you have posted on here before, but only see one post in your profile.
Your photos did not come thru. By the way, take good clear current photos, lots of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 07:35 am:

"If you have interest please email me. Sorry photos were to large. Email me and I can send you photos.If you have specific interest in a car please contact me. Thank You!"

Seems pretty clear to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 08:39 am:

A picture of one of the roadsters is on Amy's profile. Her profile says she is in Berthoud, CO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 11:18 am:

Dave Huson in also in Berthoud, Co or nearby, I'm sure he knew Marven and his collection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 11:45 am:

I read that but in this digital age people want and expect to see photos even if it's just one to wet the whistle. So, she could reduce the size or post them on one of the photo sharing accounts like Flicker or Photobucket and provide a link in the ad. That would save a lot of time replying to the people that just want to look.
I would further suggest a separate ad for each car with the year and body style in the title along with the price and description of that car.
She could also put the ads in the Horseless Carriage clubs classifieds. While as a non-member you can't post photos you can post an ad.
https://hcca.org/index.php
Ebay might be another option. It Could reach a much greater market.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Saxon on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 07:03 pm:

Amy,
I sent you a PM.
Thanks
Ted

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 11:02 pm:

Marven was an incredible craftsman and a nice guy. His death was too early and unexpected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 11:12 pm:

I second what Royce said.
Marven did absolutely beautiful work!

-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Amy on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 12:59 am:

Mark Gregush thank you for your consideration and your response. Marven Roth was my Dad I am assisting my Mom in selling his cars. They mean a lot to all of us. So we are looking for homes where the cars will be well cared for and loved just like my Dad would want. I have received a great deal of response. If your interested in more information and photos please email me and I would be happy to get you the information.

Thanks
Amy Lane (Roth)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holly Roth Tewsley on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 02:12 am:

Thanks Amy you have done a great job "wetting the whistle" for any serious buyers. Our father's collection is very special, and it is very important that we do right by him in finding individuals that would appreciate how much work he personally put into each and every car. From sewing all the diamond tucked seats, stuffed with with horse hair etc. As children 40 some years ago, Amy and I would sand down fenders and running boards just to spend time out in the garage with dad. We went on a lot of treasure hunts with him as well...(old barns etc.)
In addition to the above list of cars for sale-
These are for sale as well:

1911 Cadillac Demi-Tonneau touring (dad's pride and joy)

1909 (08) 2 Lever Model T (complete parts, not upholstered, and put together. Dad was working on this when he passed away).

1911 Couplet (complete parts, also working on when he passed away).

Please contact Amy Roth Lane for pictures, prices, and other info.

Thank you-
Holly Roth Tewsley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holly Roth Tewsley on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 10:56 am:

1911 Torpedo1915 Towncar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 11:37 am:

Amy & Holly,

Sorry to hear of the passing of your Father.

Beautiful cars ..... :-)

Great additions to any collection.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 12:31 pm:

Beautiful. Please post more pictures of available cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

Yes indeed--those are the cars of all our dreams. I would really like to see photos of the 1909 2-lever touring and the 1911 coupe. Do you have the serial numbers of these cars?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 02:22 pm:

It would seem to me that, while these are beautiful cars and undoubtedly will bring large dollars, if they are for sale they need to have photos, prices and a way to contact the owner directly. I don't get the deal of saying they are for sale but having no prices, no contact info other than a relay through the forum and no photos of most of them. If this is a private auction with offers being taken maybe they need to just be on ebay.

At least at this time, I have had no response to my request yesterday for photos of the 14 Roadster and a price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holly Roth Tewsley on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 03:11 pm:

Hi Stan-

Thank you for your input. The owner of this beautiful collection of car's has passed away. His name was Marv Roth, he put years of passion and hard work into each of these cars. My sister and I are trying to do right by him, and to get these car's sold to other Antique Auto Lovers.

With that said, we are just starting out here, and we both work demanding jobs full time. We will get each and every email answered with prices and photo's. These car's are not going anywhere as of today, or tomorrow, so please be patient.

At this time, we have decided NOT to put any of these vehicles on E-Bay. This just does not seem like something my dad would have done. There is plenty of interest on this forum.

I promise you Stan, that we will get you the information this evening!

Thanks again-
Holly Roth Tewsley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 04:04 pm:

Amy and Holly, if you're also disposing of tools and parts, the classified section on this website would be a good place to start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holly Roth Tewsley on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

Yes Steve, we do have lots and lots of parts and tools. We will go thru those at a later date, and post in the classified section.

Thanks,
Holly Roth Tewsley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 01:31 am:

I understand your loss and how overwhelemed you both much feel. Stan has a good point. He owns a successful long standing auction company.
Seems like it might save you tons of personal time and effort to show the pictures and all the info here instead of each personally. You can always then make contact with those who show interest.

Looks like your Dad had some truly great cars!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

I spoke with Mrs. Roth approximately 9 months ago regarding the partially completed 09 2-lever mentioned here, and was told by her that the asking price at that time was over $100K

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

I wonder if the 1915 town car pictured is a Canadian car? Bud.PS,I like the painted hubcaps on the end's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holly Roth Tewsley on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 12:35 am:

Scott,
The price on the 2 Lever 9 months ago, was when it was planned to be completely finished. Currently it is not finished so the price is reduced. Please contact Amy Lane, (email at the top of this thread) for pictures and Price, along with serial #.

Kenneth,
Regarding the 1915 Towncar, it is not know if it is Canadian or not. What we do know is that my dad got in in Lusk WY. in the early 70's as a "basket case". He rebuilt this car completely to the original specifications, including sewing the beautiful diamond tuck upholstery stuffed with horse hair. Please contact Amy Lane for price and serial #.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 11:26 am:

Stan, did you get the info as promised on the 14 roadster?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 11:43 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 12:47 pm:

It is not for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holly Roth Tewsley on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

Sorry Stan. The 14' Roadster was given to a family member. We do have a 13' Roadster, and the 11' Torpedo!
Thank you-
Holly Roth Tewsley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 11:28 pm:

Holly;
I sent a note to Amy about the 1911 Torpedo. A friend would like me to get info, price and photos. He does not do computer. If you can send a PM that will be great and I will get the information to him.
Thanks
Mark

(Message edited by redmodelt on September 29, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 12:30 am:

Kenneth DeLong:

U.S. built 1915 town cars do have a driver's side door.

Also - note the diaper under the transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 12:41 am:

Holly;
Amy sent the photos.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tod Wirth - Richfield, WI on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 12:42 am:

Mark

I was informed by Amy that the asking price on the 1911 Torpedo is $69,000.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holly Roth Tewsley on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 01:08 am:

Hi Eric Johnson-
Thank you for clarification on the Canadian vs US 1915 Town Car. My dad's Town Car, does not have the driver side door. I have a question, the diaper under the transmission....I see it in the picture. Is this a specific item for the US Town Car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Holly Roth Tewsley on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 01:12 am:

*****Correction*****

The Couplet is 1915. Please contact Amy Lane for photo's, price and serial #.

Thank you,
Holly Roth Tewsley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 03:46 am:

Holly R T,
Re the "diaper".
I actually had one model T that hardly leaked more than a drop of oil (per driven day) for all the years I had it, and I drove it a lot. Honest, I do not know how that happened.
Every one of the model Ts I have had since, I have tried to make leak-free, and failed. I think that is nine so far that have marked their territory, and one that didn't.
It can be done. If you try hard, and get a little lucky. Or even if you don't try, and get very lucky that once in your life. But most model Ts do mark their territory, whether you try to make them not or not (I don't care how good a mechanic one is, I have known a lot of good mechanics that have tried). Sometimes, some shows, tours, etc, get rather persnickety about it. I have carried carpet remnants, cardboard pieces, some people carry kitty litter (I think that is nearly as bad as the oil spots myself). I did once even tie some absorbent cloth up under my engine for a display that had asked. I have seen others do like that also. A very temporary fix, to say the least.
When I first saw that photo? I chuckled and said to myself, "Somebody was just at a showing that didn't want oil spots!" Sometimes, people will leave things like that until it soaks enough oil and begins to drip itself (which it will, I know from experience).
That is my guess.
I love that 1911 Torpedo! But it is way WAY, beyond my means.
Good luck to you and the cars!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 08:19 am:

The hives on the driver side door are visible in the photo. I suspect that car started life as a 1916 town car which makes it no less rare or desirable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 08:25 am:

Royce, could you explain this for a Towncar Noob?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 10:17 am:

He probably meant to type "hinges."

"The hinges on the driver side door are visible in the photo."

I also see the hinges.

Royce - the Kelly/Madsen/Praus town car has hinges on the driver side door. I have the motor number and body numbers recorded somewhere in my files and it is a 1915 Ford.

The factory photos of the town car - body in primer - does not have hinges. May have been an early mock-up until final decisions were made or the door was added as a running change during actual production. Who knows?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Boyles on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 12:27 pm:

I'm new to the hobby, but I'm thinking the Town Car was built in the fall of '14. Notice the magneto headlights are mounted on forks and the side lights have that nice, thick brass trim. But not owning a car of my own, like Will Rogers, ďAll I know is what I read in the papers." Beautiful automobile, Iím leaving now to buy a Powerball ticket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 10:21 am:

Below are some photos of the engine of #456, which is the two-lever touring car being offered.

Did anyone reproduced early blocks like this one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 10:24 am:

More photos of 456. The asking price is $90,000.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 10:26 am:

Front of engine 456 showing water pump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 10:29 am:

More photos of 456.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 10:35 am:

Here is a photo of the head of 456.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 10:40 am:

Photos of the rear of chassis 456.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 12:49 pm:

Erik,

According to Ford records there were no Model T town cars produced in FY 1915. The car therefore is not a 1915, regardless of whether the door opens or not. I've seen a number of T Town Cars that were called 1915 by their owners. Every one of them has an opening door on the driver side. Every one that I have seen is a 1916 being misidentified by the owner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 05:14 pm:

Yes, Sandy McTavish did. I'll look on my dads water pump block but most had a sand line the ran just above the bosses for the crankcase bolts that ran the entire length on the carberator side. I wouldn't kick that out of my garage and I'm sure there are more folks more qualified than myself to offer an opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 06:29 pm:

Just because the block is a reproduction does not mean it is not expensive .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 06:58 pm:

I think it would be a bonus if it was one of Sandys blocks it would probably have Babbit in the block too. My dad has one of his non water pump blocks and trust me when I say the work was first rate and not cheap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 12:04 am:

Sandy purchased 2 open valve motors from my father a number of years ago. He purchased them to make patterns. He actually cut one motor apart to make patterns for his repro blocks.

I actually purchased one of his repo blocks at Hershey about 10 years ago. I then got the original drawings from the Benson Ford for the machine work. I sold the project not sure if it ever got finished.

My concern was that there was a lot of excess material in the casting and the water ports were very narrow. The bores were much smaller in diameter requiring a lot of machining. I just thought with the added material the motor might not run as cool as an original.

just sayin'
brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 10:03 am:

The block in the photos above does not show any casting lines along the bottom of the block. Is this one of the reproduction blocks made by Sandy McTavish?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 01:58 pm:

Mike
Yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 04:46 pm:

Thank you Royce. I was afraid of that. Glad to know that before proceeding.

I am sure that "456" would make an interesting project in building a faux two-lever 1909 touring, but not at $90,000. Nevertheless, Mr. Roth built some incredible cars as shown in the photos of the Torpedo and Town Car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Eyre on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 05:10 pm:

Yes, I would agree with Royce completely. Sandy's blocks are very nice and agree with the brass car guy in that they are heavier but beautiful reproductions. I know of two of his water pump blocks in running cars and they didn't seem to run hot until they idled for a long period of time. All of the non water pump blocks he built ran fine and cooled fine as long as you had a new radiator, I know of two of them being used regularly in tour cars around these parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

Here's the engine from #904, an original water pump block for comparison sake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Webb on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

To confirm this 09 #456 has a repo block ?

If yes how does it have the engine number of #456?
I am looking for a friend who wants a correct 09.

Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 09:37 pm:

456 is a repo block, that takes nothing away from Marv's ability or quality of work. It is a fact that perspective buyers need to know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 10:32 pm:

Like Kim says, #456 is an incredible car and it is as good as it can be. It will be a great car when finished.

Is it worth more than #220 which was a beautifully restored, totally complete car with mostly original parts throughout? I do not think so, but on the other hand I think #220 was not marketed too well.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration