O T Metric and inch markings on tools

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: O T Metric and inch markings on tools
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 09:35 am:

Working on different lawn equipment and car repairs it gets to be a pain dragging out the right tool because of poor markings or shifting back and forth between inch and metric often mixed with parts made in USA or some where else. Just about decided to color code sockets and wrenches to make it more easier unless someone has a better idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 09:54 am:

Yup, lots of folks paint a red stripe or some other ID onto their metric tools for that reason. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 10:07 am:

This really don't help, but sort of on the off topic- I was at Tractor Supply and they have sets of sockets that are camouflage. I can lose the chrome plated ones in a blink of an eye. It'd take a week to overhaul a lawn mower with those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 10:44 am:

I have a gurney with large wheels and a tray below the top. Its very handy for moving tools to the right spot for repair------but often need air so its another trip back to the shop. Exercise equipment? What for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven miller on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

I have 3 roll cabinets. First for standard tool, second for metric and the third for other. Avoids confusion and brain meltdown

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 12:11 pm:

Some manufacturers do indeed color code their tools to make metric and standard more easily identifiable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 02:18 pm:

My old Massey has some Whitworh I guess its called.
Try pushing a heavy roll cabinet across dense lawn when your rider is two hundred feet from the shop with an issue and the rain is starting! One reason I like Stihl lawn equipment is the center of the bolt has a star hole so just one wrench will work on most of there products for the important repair. To bad some of the cars do not use that idea on some of there bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 02:49 pm:

When we were broken into/robed they got my pro mac 750 chain saw.The ins bought me a stihl and i hate it!! With a compression release i could start the Mac in a tree while i can't start the stihl on the ground!!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 04:36 pm:

There's more in common than is different....8mm=5/16'', 11mm=7/16'',13mm=1/2'',14mm=9/16'',17mm=11/16'', 19mm=3/4''. Of course some fasteners are just different enough to require metric only, but metric only will do almost all equipment fasteners even SAE. 7mm,9mm,10mm,12mm,15mm,16mm,18mm. Purchase 6 sided metric sockets and you will have better luck interchanging sizes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Monday, September 26, 2016 - 08:52 pm:

Good post gary. But throw rust into the equation and fitting changes. Every thing rusts fast here unless its gold or stainless.
Most late chain saws use a compression release. At my age I like them light. By chance I bought a Solo made in Germany for 15. at a garage sale. The bar and chain is thin comparing to my larger Huskys and other brands, It cuts very fast using RPM not brute power cutting more width needing that power and easy to start and work on. The pro fallers use Two brands Husky and Stihl for the most part. My Solo wore me out today cutting up a nasty tree with thorns some two inches long. Yesterday my bride was helping load my tractor and stuck one of those thorns in the back of her hand through a blood vessel, This morning her hand was badly swollen with a trip to the doctor she is on heavy duty medicine for a week!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration