Mystery carb NH?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Mystery carb NH?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 12:01 am:

Got this carb body with a bunch of other stuff, thought it was a NH but things aren't always what they seem. The throats are larger just over 1-1/8" standard NH is 1-1/6" also you can see a lot of daylight when looking through the carb and the throttle arm is different.carb1carb3carb5

The nameplate has been replaced with just a metal tab and two very large steel rivets as has the float hinge.carb4carb2
I've tried the float and bowl from a known Nh carb and they seem to fit ok. Could this be one of the straight through NH carbs I have heard about?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William bender on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 12:12 am:

Hello It looks like a straight through NH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 12:57 am:

Nice find it does appear to be a straight through carb. I have no personal experience with them but I understand they are sought after. The only thing I've read negative about them is they use more fuel but I could be wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 10:37 am:

I have found that all "straight bore" NH Holley carburetors were originally supplied (unless toyed with or repaired otherwise) with both cast throttle & choke lever arms - easy to spot.

Hard to verify from your above photo - perhaps another photo being not so close up would help identify it - from the first photo, the body seems to indicate a dip - a straight through has a more definite "straight taper" from both ends to the center.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 11:19 am:

Straight through NH's could net you a slight lag off idle if you "punch it". Still flow more than the swaybacks. 31cfm over 29cfm I think were the numbers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 11:40 am:

There is probably a hole under that plate where a brass screw threaded in. The roadster I bought from Art Simpson had a straight through on it. Fast. But with 3:1 gears the sweet spot was faster than I wanted to cruise. Bought a new swayback. James, you will have people beating the door down for that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 05:05 pm:

The throttle arm is stamped steel not cast and it adjusts from the carb not the arm the choke arm is mia. here are more pics. Jim

carb6carb7carb 8carb9

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 06:49 pm:

Whatever it is - it takes the early style bowl with the drain attached to the bowl - not the center drain type as the bottom of the body has no "reliefs" for the center drain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William bender on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 09:41 pm:

If you look where the needle valve comes through in your picture it looks like it dips down I would say no it is not a straight through NH carburetor here's a photo of a straight through

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration