Steering Column

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Steering Column
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 12:03 am:

What year or years were some of the steering columns
longer than most? I might be wrong in thinking this, but years ago I had a column that came off of a early ford and was longer than my 21, I was told they are hard to find? Thanks for any info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 03:09 am:

There were a few different lengths for 1909, 1910, and 1911 (I hope Royce or one of the better experts on early Ts can jump in with better specifics). I believe the town car used the shortest one, but am not sure about that. The longest one was a slightly more than two year (one year?) pair of models. The open roadster and the torpedo roadster for 1911 (and maybe 1912 ??) had the seat set back a couple inches and lowered slightly, with the gasoline tank behind the seat instead of under it. These cars required a slightly longer steering column. It is the only one I know of in standard model T production. And they are fairly rare. I have never seen a good breakdown showing where the measurements differ. I would like to see that.
If you still have it? You should built the car around it (just for kicks and giggles).
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 04:52 am:

Here's an older thread comparing early steering columns of various lengths: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/89355.html?1250263759

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 05:11 am:

Thank you Roger K ! I have now bookmarked that thread. It doesn't have all the measurements I would like to have, but enough that I can probably sort out the couple early columns I have.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 06:36 am:

Sam, if you would like to sell the long one I may be your buyer. I would want to confirm the measurement with you over the phone. I have a restoration of my own that could benefit if this is the right column. Text or call 319-430-4995

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration