Clincher rims

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Clincher rims
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 03:20 am:

Would it be safe to grind down the sharp edge on clincher rims. I hate to throw them away but the edges are too sharp to use. Would doing this cause the tire to come off the rim?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 05:01 am:

It depends on how much you have to grind off to get the edge rounded with full thickness - more than just 1/16" and you might be in trouble?
Many have repaired by welding wires to the edges of the rim, but that's a difficult job - you may find better used rims with some searching - or buy new repro rims.

(Message edited by Roger K on September 27, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 09:12 am:

Jerry,This is just a guess but i would do the grinding and mount a tire and see how much of the bead of the tire is inside of the clincher?? Is anything you can buy new or used perfect or does the brand/age of the tires used make a difference?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 09:12 am:

Jerry, I have some extra "rim saver" rings if you want to go that route, how many would you need (I have eight left, enough to do four rims)?

I chose to spot weld mine on with my 110 volt Mig welder, but I have heard that you can also glue them on with auto body panel epoxy.

If they are for a museum project, I'll be happy to drop them off at the museum next week on my way to Hershey.

pic1

pic2

pic3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 09:53 am:

I wonder why nobody in the US makes those? I worked for years in a sheet metal shop, those would be easy to make with a shear, press brake and roller. How much do they sell for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 10:16 am:

Jerry

Specs for clincher rim are needed to safeguard that the rubber tire bead stays put and isn't damaged by thin bead. There needs to be adequate clincher roll depth, along with proper radius and thickness of that roll of steel.

Specs. (3" rim width, but clincher roll is same for 3 1/2" rim)

Roll of rim is what keeps fully inflated tire in place.

Comparison of rusted away bead, now sharp. On right is how the bead should be.

Result of running a new tire on a rusted sharp bead rim. Tire casting is cut deeply by the thin rim bead, destroying this new $160 tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 03:59 pm:

For info on the rim savers from Australia, PM Andrew Brand here on the forum.

http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profil e=andrew_brand-users

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 06:25 pm:

Mark, I purchased a fully restored 1907 R a few months ago that the owner had put wire wheels on because the original wheels were too bad. It doesn't look right. I have the original wheels. Once I get them respoked, painted and on the car, it will be placed in the MTFCA museum for all to see. I would like to take you up on your offer to drop all 8 off at the museum. Let me know how much they are. Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 06:27 pm:

Jerry, they're free, consider it a donation to the museum. I'll drop them off at the museum on my way to Hershey. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 07:21 pm:

Thank you Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

Jerry, I don't know when you'll see this, since I hear you're still in Australia, but I dropped off the rim savers with Susan at the museum today, they'll be waiting for you when you get back.

Mark

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration