Windshield Glass

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Windshield Glass
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 02:15 pm:

Am I missing something. I've been looking for safety glass for my 26 touring and have found all the rubber, frame, and hardware but no glass. It this something that you have to go to a glass Co for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 03:02 pm:

Ditto here, but I believe the answer is yes... glass company or auto glass, maybe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 03:28 pm:

Here's the measurements from Ford's book on glass specifications: https://www.modeltford.com/item/T11.aspx

lll

hhh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 03:55 pm:

Wow Thanks. Now I need to search my parts for all the hardware.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 04:01 pm:

I took my frames with the original plate glass in them to my local glass shop here in Hillsboro, Missouri (population 2645). They did a great job of replacing the plate glass with laminated glass at a very reasonable price. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 04:45 pm:

Most auto glass stores can help you. That's where I got mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 05:53 pm:

Just had mine done for 26 roadster
Auto glass shop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 08:04 pm:

FWIW, Ford specified a maximum thickness of 1/4" and a minimum of 3/16" in the windshield. Most surviving original glass is close to 1/4".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 10:16 pm:

Ford offered a windshield glass specification booklet that has all the specs on it. It's probably been reprinted?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

Yes, it has. https://www.modeltford.com/item/T11.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 09:31 am:

Used to be in the glass business. This should be easy for any decent glass shop to do. Make sure you seal the edges, otherwise you can get some delamination there over time. If they let you watch, the cutting process for laminated glass is interesting. There is fire involved!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 10:17 am:

Agreed Chris, we cut laminated glass all the time. Used lighter fluid. Right or wrong, it worked :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 11:09 am:

So should I make sure that I get a good seal so my touring car doesn't leak? Ha!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 01:15 pm:

It's all about the glass. This is the edge of the monocle on my speedster, which was not sealed. (I didn't build it.) There's about 1/4" +/- of delamination all along the edge. Someday, I'll probably have to replace it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration