I No Understand?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: I No Understand?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 04:10 pm:

I understand everything but the "adjust yoke to have 1/16" play in direction shown"? Can someone shed some light on this please?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 04:29 pm:

When you have that clutch lever yoke fully down, as shown in the sketch, with the adj screw off the cam of the brake/clutch handle, then you know the clutch spring is engaged, and the T is in high gear.

So by putting a bit of 'gap' between the clevis , after you have set the clevis distance, that goes to the low speed pedal, when that low pedal is pulled and HELD ALL the way back into its pedal notch. That 'gap' amount allows the normal low pedal freedom to find 'free neutral'.

Of course first adjust that low band to engage with a bit of freedom, some like to say 1"-2" from the floorboard, but that is just ballpark. You don't want low pedal band to be too loose, and you don't want it to engage fully too soon, as there won't be any low pedal travel to adj. with the clevis.

If you don't allow for that 1/16" play, the low pedal won't have enough travel to allow the float of the linkage when you let up on the low pedal to go thru the neutral point on the way to high speed engagement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 04:31 pm:

With the low pedal pulled back as far as it will go, the low speed link should adjusted so that it 1/16 inch too short for the pin to go in. Once the link length is correct, tighten the locknut against the clevis, release the rearward pressure on the pedal, and slip the pin in and retain the pin with a cotter pin.

I was taught to always put a washer under the cotter pin, but I don't think that Ford did, so it's your option. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 04:46 pm:

Bit of long winded explanation. Perhaps the body copy of the free neutral adjustment article explains best.

You just make the clevis attachment 'short' by a tad as you hold the low pedal back.

When you insert the clevis pin, let the low pedal fall loose to fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 06:02 pm:

Ok, now I get it, thanks guys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

Just check for wear at all the pivot points because they do wear and that throws everything off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

I just took all the slop out of my linkage by making some new custom pins to fit the worn holes. It made a huge difference. I would strongly recommend that if your linkage is sloppy due to wear that you correct the issue. It will be time well spent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 12:25 am:

IF they had simply said SHORT instead of play in the first place there wouldn't BE any questions.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration