Hinge

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hinge
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 07:47 pm:

Hinge

Looking to replace this hinge to a turtle deck. I would need the rivets as well. It's from 1920 or so, and the supply houses don't carry it. I think it can be repaired by a good metal guy from the inside. Any thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

If you want to save the hinge the best bet is to remove the rivets. Carefully grind of the heads with a small die grinder and carefully punch them out. If the hinge is made from sheet metal (maybe 18 or 20 gauge sheet metal?) you can use the old one as a pattern and make a new one. You might try to braze it or weld it with a small wire feed welder if you can weld small on thin metal without burning it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 10:19 pm:

Thanks, John.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 01:34 am:

Tig weld it. I'd leave it riveted on and clean it up good then weld it right there. I welded the hinges back on my tail lamp door with a tig, pretty thin stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 08:41 am:

Thanks, Corey. I really would like to avoid having to taking it off, attempting to find a replacement or having to make a new one. I think the repair could be made on the inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 10:01 am:

If you have access to a Tig welder that's the way to go. If you plan to weld it in place be careful to have the hinge pieces in the correct place.
If the parts aren't in the correct rotation with the other hinge it might bind up on one side and wont let the lid close evenly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brooks Schlieben on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

Yup. I agree John. Will tell my metal guy when I bring the deck over. Always learning stuff I could never had possibly imagined.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration