Mineral Oll for Break-in

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Mineral Oll for Break-in
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard Revaz on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 07:58 pm:

I was recently made aware of an engine rebuild in which mineral oil was used for the "break- in" period. I certainly do not want to start another oil dissertation (Please Don 't), but would rather entertain the reasoning for this type of initial lubrication. What would the mineral oil properties be in comparison those of a more "conventional" oil?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

Mineral oil is conventional oil.
Synthetic is a better oil, but also more expensive. The theory here is that synthetic oil is so slick and reduces the friction so much that the new rings hardly ever seats and conform to the bore after a rebuild if synthetic oil is used, thus it is supposed to be better to use common mineral oil during the break in period.

For a Model T, mineral oil would be good enough for all use - modern mineral oil is better than what was available back when the car was new.

Still, I use off brand 10W-40 semi synthetic oil since there isn't much difference in price from mineral oil - and since I buy it in a large container and use it for my other vehicles too :-)

No idea if the rings has seated properly yet after 2000+ miles.. The T uses some oil but it may just as well be leaks :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 08:13 pm:

I know Castor oil makes you GO faster. Sorry i couldn't resist.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

Because whoever wants to use mineral oil wants to. Does he buy it a drug store?

I can not think of a logical reason why?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 08:43 pm:

That's another name for non detergent. They still recommend that for airplane engines to seat the rings quickly. Most folks use what they are always going to use. Without chrome bores it doesn't really matter. In the T, run what you intend to run forever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

I recall an old automotive hints article to put some mineral oil in each battery cell to reduce evaporation of battery water. Didn't try it my self. I would think the prevalent overcharging of older systems was more the culprit than evaporation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

There's a long standing tradition of using mineral oil for breaking in new engines, particularly aviation engines (and at the first oil change, the engine is switched over to a non-mineral oil). -The reason for using the stuff that way is; mineral oil is a relatively poor lubricant (and do note the use of the word, "relatively"), the idea being that of seating the piston rings correctly and as quickly as possible so as to prevent high oil consumption later. -In theory, a good, very slippery lubricant inhibits this important process.

Well, that's all well and good and proven out for aviation engines and high-performance engines, but as to whether a mineral oil break-in works for low-temperature, low-RPM engines, such as in a Model T Ford, might be a matter of conjecture. -My semi-educated guess would be; using it just that once couldn't hurt, and maybe it could even help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, September 27, 2016 - 10:52 pm:

This is the only acceptable oil for Fords.

But these folks claim theirs is best.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration