International Rally at Coal Creek 09 Many Photos!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: International Rally at Coal Creek 09 Many Photos!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 02:50 am:

Ninth installment of photos from the International rally visit to Coal Creek last Sunday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 03:22 am:

So many nice cars, so far away.
Thank you Dane H for posting all these pictures! Bet you were wishing you still had a model T, eh?
Drive carefully all, and do enjoy that beautiful countryside! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 06:37 am:

Yes Wayne, I do hanker for a T from time to time, and seeing all of these beautiful machines increased the yearnings. Unfortunately, I have to be practical and use more modern transport. The day I took these photos, I drove my 1950 Rover 75. Today to take the wife shopping I used our 1959 Rover 90.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 10:29 am:

Despite what Henry sent them, I see the Aussies like their colors!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 05:17 pm:

Dale, a lot of Fords came to Australia as CKD chassis. During 1917 it became almost mandatory in order to save shipping space. Those chassis were clothed with locally built bodies, some patterned after 'official' US or Canadian bodies, but many were designed in Australia. If the body is not ex factory, then the paint colour can also be whatever the builder or his customer requires. Hence the variety to be found here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 06:15 pm:

For me, maybe it is kind of strange? But I prefer antique cars to appear "era correct", and if I know a USA car was black only, I like to see them in black. But the Australian Ts, even the ones with USA bodies, usually have enough minor differences, that as quickly as my eye can catch those, the color also looks right to me. The Australian designed and built bodies, while obviously having a model T basis, are clearly not USA standard bodies. And just like an Ames or Autowa body, I don't expect black. Original Australian, New Zealand, or other British photographs (even though they are black and white photos) do show a lot of non black Fords and tops. As such, that is what I have come to expect from them, and I love seeing photos of these cars on tours today!
I have always found it interesting that very few USA manufacturers offered white as a standard color offering (Yes, white is technically NOT a color) from earliest production well into the '40s. Yes, there were exceptions. Buick's white streak models about 1909 were painted white. Cord offered white in the '30s. Pierce Arrow in most years would paint a new car any color the customer wanted, and I know several were painted white. But white in the USA was rare in those decades. White painted cars and a wide variety of other light colors in the British Empire were, on the other hand, not rare. So they should be expected often, even at the most prestigious and picky shows and meets.

Again, Dane H, thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures!
Drive the Rover carefully, and do enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 06:22 am:

I agree with you, Wayne. The variety of bodies and their details as well as the variety of colours all add to the pleasure of studying these cars.

Thanks for your comments, I am about to post the next batch of photos. I am glad that you are enjoying them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration