Question about removing rear spring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Question about removing rear spring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 07:11 am:

Since I have the rear end out of the Tudor for rebuilding I want to pull the spring to spruce it up. I have removed the U bolt plates but cannot get the spring out. I've whacked it some with a hammer but only get a little bit of movement. Am I missing something or is it just stuck in the cross member?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 07:26 am:

It can be really rusted stuck in there. Try removing the clamps and the center nut that holds the spring pack together, then try to pull the leafs one at the time - should be easier?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 09:06 am:

Justin, just keep wiggling it. They can be really stuck sometimes. A long tire iron or pry bar between the frame and spring helps a lot too. Be ready when the spring comes out. They are very heavy and awkward.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 09:54 am:

If the spring is a little loose spray some WD-40 up inside the frame above the spring and wiggle it some more. A little lubrication will work wonders!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 10:33 am:

"Try removing the clamps and the center nut that holds the spring pack together"

If you're going to do that, remove the centre nut BEFORE you loosen the U-bolts. If you have the centre nut and the clamps off and you loosen the U-bolts and the spring doesn't come apart work at the spring pack to loosen it up.
If you have the centre nut and the clamps off and remove the U-bolt nuts and plates the spring can come apart in a big dangerous hurry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 10:53 am:

I would not attempt to take the spring apart in the car. As others have pointed out, there is a great deal of energy released when you do this. A prybar between the cross member and the spring top will do the job. Just be patient. You may have to drive the bar between the spring and cross member with a large hammer, but it will eventually work loose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

I've used the tire iron, a 24" one. Works every time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

A BAH also works. I use my 6 ft pry bar a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

I used one of those 3 foot long screwdriver/pry bars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 07:18 pm:

Thanks for the input. I got it out tonight with a BFH and a crow bar.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration