Was ALL the wood on a Modelt T painted the car color?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Was ALL the wood on a Modelt T painted the car color?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 10:24 am:

Resorcreating a WWI light patrol vehicle out of a 1915 with a wooden light open express body. I'll paint all the body wood the same OD green as the metal work. I'm painting ALL metal work OD green and not the frame black or axles black and the body OD green as was the procedure in later years. Although some parts may be a slightly different shade as the vendors supplied them, the vehicle will be OD green.
So, in this case, would ALL the wooden pieces such as hood shelves, running board and fender blocks, engine mounting blocks, etc., all be painted as well?
The set of hood shelves I got are stained a nice redish color and would show off that they were wood, but I don't know if on the actual 1915 they would be left "natural" or painted over black.

I'm presuming a military motor pool would just paint everything that moved OD green, but would like to hear what others think.

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Bourgeois,Aldergrove BC,Can. on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 11:18 am:

Morning Robert, I'm doing my hood shelves right now and mine are also reddish as you said. Not much left of them, but I can see they were red to begin with. I'm making my from red oak and might just leave them their natural colour.
PaulB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 12:06 pm:

I'm thinking the general public does not ralize just how much wood was used in the Model T and leaving it bare wood or oil or stained a natural color would emphasize what was meatal and what was wood.

A bit of tin and a bit of board and that is how you make a Ford.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration