Thinking about Hershey (Good / Bad Idea)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Thinking about Hershey (Good / Bad Idea)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 11:37 am:

I inherited both a '15 T and a '17 Buick from my uncle. I can only deal with one of them so obviously I'm keeping the T.

To sell the Buick, I'm considering renting a trailer and driving out to Hershey. I don't have a place to go once there. I figured that with the concentration of antique car aficionados, I would have a good chance of selling the car. Is is possible to find a convenient spot to simply park and get enough passing traffic to get some interest?

Is this a bad idea? Maybe a 5 hour drive each way. Better / simpler idea to be more aggressive posting her on the various websites / newsletters?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 12:12 pm:

We have room at our spaces in the Red Field South for the Buick if you want to park it there with a "For Sale" sign with your cell number on it.

We'd only charge you a 95% commission when it sells ;<)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 12:14 pm:

I'm a newbie to the hobby, but here are my thoughts for what they are worth...
1. I presume Hershey, like most venues charges a fee for spaces and sales. How close the montor the "free" guys setting up at the Walmart parking lot, I don't know. But I would think if it were that easy, everyone would do it.
2. Exposure on the web, whatever venue you select, is a world wide market. At Hershey, or anywhere like that, yes, those that are there are interested in the market, but you are only exposing your vehicle to those that drive by.
3. I am making a wide brush stroke here, but presume most buyers are looking for a "deal" and will offer accordingly. An auction venue or web site might allow the price to reach a higher level. If price is your priority. If having the car gone in one weekend is your priority, then, yes, a venue like Hershey with a "must sell" or "obo" sign it will get it sold.
4. Someone who buys it better be dragging an empty car hauler with them to take the car home with them or you are dealing with some sort of transport for them or you with the car. And, you will probably be taking a personal check for the sale on a weekend out of town. A leap of faith on your part. No Paypal or other protections.

All little things to consider in your marketing efforts. Good luck with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 12:51 pm:

Charlie,

I think you're going to have a hard time finding somewhere to park a trailer all week anywhere close to the fields. A

There is a "car corral" just for this purpose. It gets a LOT of foot traffic.

If you're serious about selling it, I would put it there.

http://www.hersheyaaca.org/fm_corral.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

"To sell the Buick, I'm considering renting a trailer and driving out to Hershey. I don't have a place to go once there."

And yes this seems like a bad idea.

Note that it will be nearly impossible to find a hotel room within a 20 mile radius at this point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 02:42 pm:

I think Dan is correct. Finding a place to park it where passing people can stop to look at it is mighty unlikely in that area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 02:47 pm:

Charlie, I realize that "IF's" don't count, but if your Buick were a '16, we'd be talking!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 08:40 am:

Bill: How about this 1914?

http://marshall.craigslist.org/cto/5745640349.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 08:57 am:

Thank you, Chuck, but if it's going to be a Buick, 1916 would be it. My grandparents had one.

Thanks again.

Bill Everett

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration