Anybody recognize this part?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Anybody recognize this part?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 02:30 pm:

I found this in a box of new parts, anyone know what it is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 02:37 pm:

Bob - Hard to determine the size but it looks quite small compared to the linked rubber floor mat joint. If it's as small as it seems, it might be a universal joint that's part of a very old antique socket set. I guess if a penny, dime or quarter was laying there beside it, one would know if it's the size of an automotive drive line type U-joint, or very small like part of an old socket set,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By william matz Beloit, Wi on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 03:07 pm:

PTO shaft U joint

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 03:29 pm:

Thanks Harold, looks like you're doing all the big thinking! LOL A fellow emailed me and said it's part of an antique socket set. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

It also resembles the u-joint that was part of an aftermarket power steering kit for farm tractors of the late thirties -early fifties that I had a couple of at one time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 05:02 pm:

Looks like the one for the PTO on my Bolens lawn tractor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 09:02 pm:

Universal joint for a 100 year old socket set.

Picked this one up at an estate sale - note universal joint on the right side:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 09:11 pm:

Here Billings & Spencer set that I picked up that is significantly higher quality than the Chicago Mfg above.

The sockets in the Chicago set are cast iron and pretty crude. The Billings & Spencer sockets are steel and the ratchet is very high quality.

Again, note the u-joint:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 09:48 pm:

Yup, seems it does probably go to a socket set, a fellow by the name of Tim emailed me and recognized it. He has 2 socket sets that can use it. Going in the mail to him tomorrow to make his set complete!
Eric, they are sure well preserved sets you have, very nice. Thanks for everyone's input!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration