Larry's correct Battery Box

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Larry's correct Battery Box
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 03:33 pm:

My new battery box from Larry Smith arrive today safe and sound. The box is very well made. Larry ships it partially assembled. I'm sure this is to allow ease in painting, in fact, at this stage, by sliding one side of the box upward without the bottom attached the box can be completely taken to aid painting even further. Once painted, everything goes back together to make a nice proper (correct) box that fits. What could be better then that? Larry says his last batch sold in 24 hours. If he ever decides to offer more of these, and you're looking for a correct replacement battery box, better jump on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 03:38 pm:

I'm sure they're top notch, but if you can't wait for Larry's next batch, you can make your own:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/47561.html?1205077586

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, September 28, 2016 - 04:30 pm:

I received mine from Larry earlier this week and could not be happier. It is a great item to have. I missed the first round boxes sold but got in on the second time. Thank you Larry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 09:53 am:

Thanks for the KIND words! The modern battery will most likely be too low in the box, and must be shimmed up to the top edge to avoid damage to the battery cables. Since Ford used the battery to help support the top, you MUST make two brackets to lay on top of your battery to support the lid. I made two handles just like an original Ford wood battery. I bought a piece of square tubing at Home Depot, and cut it to about 4" long. I then cut the tubing across to give me two pieces of angle iron. I drilled two holes in the angle iron for the handles, and welded the handles. These will support the lid. The second design Ford batteries are made of hard rubber, and won't give you a good pattern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

Larry, do you have any pics of the handles you made?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 12:21 am:

No I don't! I've been thinking about it though. I need to make a drawing of what I did and get it out to you guys. I'm having too much fun, (ugh), sanding running boards for my '13 roadster!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 08:29 pm:

The problem is finding a guy that knows how to make the two joints. I'm sure now, since I've sold well over a dozen, the supply of Ford lids for these is going to become increasingly difficult. Good luck guys! What I don't understand is why the vendors didn't have them made correctly in the first place? Seems like we see this a lot with reproduction parts. AND, who had the nerve to put a Ford script on them? They should have known better!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration