Used parts that are better than new ones

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Used parts that are better than new ones
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 08:14 am:

I have read that one would do well to find used, spiral roller rear axle bearings instead of new repos. I'm wondering what other used parts I should be looking for, instead of buying new. Timers, maybe? What else? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 08:40 am:

Timers: original New Day is good. Some of the repos aren't. Some of the modern times are reputed to be excellent, but I haven't tried them.
Brass radiators: Repos are built differently, so if you're after original appearance you get an old one recored.
Spark plugs: Old Champion X's are as good as new ones, and much cheaper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 09:01 am:

Be on the look out for good used ring gears, pinion and rear end parts. U-joints are out there also.
You will be surprised what you will find at some swap meets when a guy pulls up with a trailer load of rusty this and that!
One mans trash is another mans treasure!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 11:53 am:

Starter switches

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 12:03 pm:

There is nothing wrong with the "Made In USA" switches - be wary of the imported ones !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

Old school operator attitude. The originals are much better than what you find today ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 02:09 pm:

Water inlets and outlets.(on engine) I have had several new ones crack, even being careful to torque evenly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

Mufflers.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration