Magneto question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Magneto question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 09:29 am:

I pulled my engine last week and need to replace or repair the existing round, double stack mag ring on my '14 Touring. I see that there were other kinds available later on (oval, single stack). Is there a benefit to switching from what I currently have to a later style?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 10:27 am:

Bill, Joe can answer that question!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 11:16 am:

Yup,Between Joe and Wally i have a very hot mag!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

If your engine is older than September 14, 1914 or engine # about 578,000, then you'll get some more power from the magneto with the newer style 3/4" magnets and coils that were upgraded for the upcoming electric headlamps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

Yes, Roger, my engine was cast March of 1914 so I'm thinking the later, 3/4" magnets may be better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 06:10 pm:

It's not the magnets that are the issue. The oval shaped field coils are a huge improvement over the round ones. Single or double stack makes no difference. There is a "dead spot" between each of the advance selections on early cars that makes the spark lever position really critical. These dead spots are wider than the "sweet spots" where the voltage output is much higher.

Of course you will need to use thicker magnets with the later oval field coil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

Ken, you talk about a hot mag!...the one Joe put in "Pete", my '12 is definitely hotter than a firecracker. It even surprised him while it started on mag, ice cold engine, while he was priming it for it's very first test run after being rebuilt. Even with my arthritic shoulders I can "cold start" him on mag, as I did yesterday with it sitting in 55 degree cool weather. I was impressed, albeit with sore shoulders!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 08:07 pm:

Tim,Joe asked me if i wanted a hotter mag and told me he would get a better coil ring from wally and it works very well.I can't say how many years it's been but i haven't even cleaned the Anderson timer.I think Royce has the right idea as to why!!Bud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration