Differences in 1926-1927 coupe dashes

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Differences in 1926-1927 coupe dashes
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 11:35 am:

I bought another original 1926-1927 coupe dash through the classifieds, and I was surprised to notice some differences between it and the one that came with my coupe.

Dashes

Differences

The two holes on the face of the dash are slightly different sizes, and there are "ears" on the sides of the red dash. The speedometer hole is the reason why I bought another dash.

My coupe is an early improved car, made in November of 1925.
Does anybody have information on when these changes were made?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Shore on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

My March 27 Coupe has a dash that appears to have the "ears" like the red one without the speedometer hole.I looked in the Ford body parts booklet and there is one part number for the Coupe & Tudor cowl-dash. The roadsters and Touring cars have a different part number. Maybe the one with the hole is for a Roadster,Touring. Someone with both cars may have an answer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 12:13 pm:

I have a 26 Fordor sedan - I thought the dash without the tabs was only used on the Fordor, and the Coupe & Tudor had the tabs - another thing is the Fordor had a vent in the cowl with the tank under the seat, the bracket for the vent control screwed to the bottom flange of the dash in the center under the ignition switch. I don't think there were any need for these holes on the coupe so it might be another way to tell the difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 12:52 am:

Mike, What speedometer are you planning on using? I have a dash with a speedo hole cut in it, and I have both a Steward 160 and an AC speedometer. The hole appears to be cut for an AC as it fits, but a Stewart 160 is a tad larger in dia., and won't fit without enlarging.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Monday, October 03, 2016 - 09:06 pm:

Terry,

I'm not planning on using a speedometer, my car came with the dash with the hole already cut. Someone had cobbled together a crude turn signal setup in the shell of an old speedometer. So I'm going back to stock, but I might hold on to my old dash and try to patch it for fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 11:35 am:

Be careful about the speedometer you buy for your 1926 coupe. Due to the cowl gas tank behind your dash, you are limited in space and to the type of speedometer you can use. It is possible that the person who cut the hole for the speedometer he had, realized too late that the speedometer he had protruded too far beyond the rear of the dash and was stopped by the gas tank. Realizing the hole he cut was too big and too high up on the dash for an original speedometer made to fit the 1926 coupe, it rendered the dash useless to him so he cut his losses and sold it. I hate to be the one to tell you, but I don't think you will be able to use it on your '26 coupe, either for the hole is too high and too large and any speedometer you find that will fit the hole will be to big to clear the tank and thus, will protrude way beyond the front of your dash.

The proper speedometer for the 1926 coupe is a Stewart 490A because it is smaller and was designed to accommodate the cowl tank. The Stewart 160, which is for the 1919-1925, is larger and to me, looks better and is more functional because the numbers are color coded to show when various maintenance functions are due and, while it can be used on a 1926, it requires a special, hard to find, adapter plate that angles the 160 upward so that the back clears the cowl tank.

The first thread below, shows several speedometers including the 160 and the 490A I mentioned. The second thread details my experience in the installation of an original Stewart 490 in the dash of my 1926 coupe in 2011. It is not a difficult job, but the measurements and location must be precise, especially on the 1926 coupe. I hope this helps. Good luck. Jim Patrick

www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/187778.html
www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/211242.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 11:40 am:

PS. I just noticed where you were not planning to use a speedometer. In this case, that is good. As Mark said, this dash is probably for a 1926 Fordor which had the tank under the seat and explains the larger hole, thereby allowing room for any larger non 1926 speedometer. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 11:56 am:

So it seems that the red one with the ears on the sides is correct for my coupe then?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration