Are these spindles still usable?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Are these spindles still usable?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 01:05 pm:

I picked up a rusty front axle and wishbone assembly for really cheap, it had been sitting outside for quite some time. The spindles seem to be in decent shape, I soaked them in a rust remover solution and they came fairly clean.

Is there a dimensional spec / tolerance on the bearing surfaces that I can measure to determine whether these are usable? I'd like to rebush them and swap them out for the ones in my coupe.

Also does anybody have information on the large nut on the right spindle? The ones on my coupe are just regular castle nuts.

Spindle

Spindle

Spindle

Spindle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 01:09 pm:

Just found that the long nut is a speedometer drive mount. Neat!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

I can't tell for sure from the pictures but make sure that you have a matched set of spindles. Depending on the year of your car, 1926-27 or 1925 and earlier. The 1926 style spindle threaded and bearing mount part of spindle is 1/2" higher on spindle body. How tight do they fit your inner wheel bearings?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 04:48 pm:

They are a matched 26-27 pair. I haven't tested them with my wheel bearings, maybe I'll remove a wheel and see if I can fit the bearings to them before overhauling the spindles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 10:25 pm:

I'd wire brush the area where the inner bearing rides and try one on to see how it fits. New spindle nuts, both right and left, are available from the parts dealers for about $4.25. I have no idea what that weird nut is for, but you can get new castle nuts from the parts dealers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 03:43 am:

Hmm, OK, I'll ask the whole group--looking at these, notice the ends are not bulged out to reinforce them as most later spindles are--and I would thing all "Improved Ford" spindles would have that feature. Are these Ford script, or are they possibly earlier aftermarket lowering spindles?
The Speedo mount nut is usually found in the teens cars, a neat accessory item.
I do note that it has the flat sides on the bearing shoulder, to facilitate removing the bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 03:44 am:

PS It also looks like the tie rod arms are of different styles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Saggese on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 11:09 am:

I suppose my photos weren't very good-

spindle

spindle2

They are both Ford script.
They are cleaning up nicely, the left-hand thread spindle nut is stuck but I should be able to free it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 12:02 am:

I'm still puzzled by the lack of a shoulder at the ends (where the pivot bushings press in); I thought this was a feature of all the later spindles.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration