Texas T Party 2016 Day 2

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Texas T Party 2016 Day 2
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 09:24 pm:

Today started out a bit breezier, and a bit cooler than yesterday. I did not see a thermometer but I bet it was around 58 degrees. First thing I ran across was a bunch of guys helping load one of yesterday's wounded onto a trailer. This particular car had a hole in a piston we think, causing massive blowby, blue smoke out the tailpipe, and a dead cylinder. That's your tour chairman David Harris on the right front fender starting the day out with some light exercise.

As predicted the Neunhopfers (spelling = ????) got the '26 touring back in action today despite a broken axle shaft yesterday. They tore the rear end apart and used a spare shaft that they just happened to bring along. It was all together yesterday afternoon ready for today. (I saw it putter by but didn't have a camera with me sorry)

Gator and some friends worked on Tim Eyessen's '14 last night, using a combination of PB Blaster and Marvel Mystery oil to free up all the stuck valves. It sounded good this morning, I was parked right next to it. Tim said he got 10 miles out of town and it was losing power so he turned it around back to the hotel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

John Stolz has probably the fastest Model T in Texas. This thing comes up behind me at twice my speed and goes on past like I was chained to a stump. It has all of his special Model T Ranch trick parts on it. Great car, what a crafty guy John is. Shot in the parking lot just before dawn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 09:31 pm:

This nice looking red '14 has McLaren wheels and some trick stuff under the hood. The cockpit looks good too, no telling what all the toggle switches do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

Bill and Judy Peterson have a lovely '27 Fordor that never seems to break down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

This unrestored '21 touring starts every morning on MAG. No starter, no battery, no problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 09:37 pm:

Kind of a theme today is the cars and the people. This Tudor has a really slick green paint job. It runs down the road real well too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 09:38 pm:

'24 touring looks good in maroon and black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 09:46 pm:

Our first stop today was in Stephenville Tx, where the city is restoring a lovely 1800's home. The plan was for everyone in the tour to receive a photo of their car in front of the house.

There was lots of jockeying for position. For a bunch of 89 - 100+ year old cars we had little trouble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

Next stop was courthouse square in Granbury, Texas. Granbury is built right next to a wonderful lake, famed for its catfish, bass and crappie.

On the way we had beautiful scenery and deserted roads with fine pavement. It was a really easy drive by T Party standards. I stopped at one particularly nice scenic view of a valley and tried to capture its beauty on camera. I failed, but here are some of my attempts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

Courthouse square in Granbury, TX. Granbury was home to Davy Crockett's widow and her children after he was killed at the Alamo in 1836 during the fight for Texas Independence. When Texas became a country, the survivors of soldiers killed in battle were given land grants. Elizabeth Crockett was given 640 acres in Hood County, near Granbury. Many of Crockett's descendants still live in the area.

Lake Granbury came to be in 1969 with the damming of the Brazos river which flows through town.

The T's took over courthouse square for a couple of hours. It was like the clock had gone backwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 10:07 pm:

Lunch was your choice of fried catfish, fried chicken, or chicken fried steak smothered in cream gravy. It was a dandy little restaurant right on Lake Granbury. Good stuff, here are the tour chairs David and Kathy Harris getting a great meal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

I did not get any photos on the return trip to Stephenville, but it was another great drive through gently rolling hills on mostly deserted roads. We passed the TT twice, he was cruising about 23 MPH I think.

This evening's last event was dinner provided by the city Chamber of Commerce. It was brisket sliders with potato salad and fresh garden salad. I took the rest of these photos at the dinner.

A lot of us brought home trinkets from Granbury. Not Gary and Suzy Page. They decided to bring home a TRINKET.

That's all for me. I'm cranking it up and going to the hotel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

Those are some nice shots you got there Royce. I am amazed at how many people will stand in front of their car instead of to the side so you can see the car, too. You were able to take candid's where no one was posing. That's the way to rake pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Walker on Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 10:26 pm:

Thanks, Royce! Hopefully I'll get to take the speedster on a tour someday soon.

David Crockett's previous wife, Polly, is buried on a knoll above an old highway not far from my home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 12:51 am:

Great photo's Royce !!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 08:31 am:

Fantastic stuff Royce. Thanks for taking all the time to probably shrink pictures and post 'em all. Looks like y'all had a great time with great weather too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 12:09 pm:

Great pictures and details. Thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

Royce, Thanks so much for the cool pics But especially the narrative. That's one tour that I have never been on and is definitely on my Bucket List

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 02:07 pm:

Royce -
Almost feel like I went on that tour due to the great pictures and great narration of both the positive and negative aspects. We all know how much fun can be had on tours, but we also know that "stuff happens" with Model T's, and it's interesting and informative to hear what went wrong, and how it was dealt with. Thanks for the great coverage,....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 08:35 pm:

Royce, Thanks for the good photos. I hope to make it to this tour someday... another bucket list item for me too...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 09:57 pm:

Tonight was the tour banquet, and we talked about all the break downs. There were bad transmission bands, two cars that retired due to rod knocks, one car that the owner installed a clear plastic tube on the outside oil line and the clear tubing came off so he lost all the oil. There was Tim's car retired due to bad gas. A car today was knocking like crazy - maybe a broke crank - and made the trip home on the flat bed. Another car today had the distributor rotor fall apart and rode the trailer because no one had any Volksbuggen parts handy.

It will happen to all of us one day, just a matter of time. I haven't broke a crank since 2009......

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration