Hershey Weather

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hershey Weather
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 08:10 am:

Been going to Hershey for thirty years and still have that weather anxiety a few days before. It's a six hour drive from where I live now and given my job I can only go for one day ... Friday. Of course it's better than having it rain on the days before when vendors leave before you even get there. I need my yearly rusty car parts "fix."

The current forecast shows rain on one day ... Friday. At least the flea market is on black top now ... not like the old days when you walked though ankle deep mud. Hoping the forecast will change by the end of next week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 08:17 am:

Mark, many-a-time I've said this about long range weather forecasts...first, you can't predict it more than 4 days out, and secondly, and this seems to be very true, what they predict 7 days ahead turns out to be the total opposite by that time. So for now don't stress yourself! But, there is a hurricane brewing in the Carribean right now that could throw a wrench in all the forecasts! Hope it turns out okay for you and all going there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 08:37 am:

Mark,

If it's raining and it's Friday, you're probably wasting your time. Wednesday and Thursday are the big days if you don't have a spot in order to pre-shop during set-up.

A couple of years ago, many of the vendors packed up Thursday night leaving open expanses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 09:53 am:

Rain at Hershey isn't quite the death sentence that it used to be. For one, it's all blacktop, so no vendors need to wait a day or two to get dragged out of the chocolate gumbo. Another thing is that a much larger percentage of vendors now seem to have awnings or canopies.

So forget about the possibility of rain and come have a good time.

(A much bigger issue is canopy-destroying, parts-scattering, table-overturning wind.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Dix on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 10:08 am:

Rain on Friday means the vendors will pack up. There is NOBODY there on Saturday since HERCO won't let people stay over Saturday night.
But the forecast is only correct for the next hour anyway..... Maybe...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 10:10 am:

RV: The only problem with rain at todays Hershey are the customers. In the good old days, guys would just put on rain gear and shop on. I remember years ago, a guy buying a big Phillips 66 sign from me in the pouring rain, throwing it up on his back and marching off in the mud happy as cat with a bird. Now, it turns cloudy and people head for the hills. Oh, for the good old days. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Dix on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 10:13 am:

Actually 70% chance of sunshine Friday sounds good!
Ditto Dan!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 10:17 am:

Just checked. Rain on Saturday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnCodman on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 10:23 am:

Mark,
My wife's uncle was a Navy fighter pilot on a carrier in the Pacific during WW 2. The weather forecasts were so inaccurate that he made a bet with the ship's weatherman that he would forecast the weather for each of the next 30 days by flipping a coin (Clear, cloudy); the weatherman would use his scientific forecasting. My wife's uncle won the bet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, September 30, 2016 - 06:28 pm:

I remember it raining a couple of days before I could get there on Friday a few years ago. Even after 1/4 of the vendors left ... a bad day at Hershey is still 100 times better than any show near me for finding great stuff. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 05:57 am:

I think we need to adopt the GOLFERS code of weather. IT NEVER RAINS ON THE GOLF COURSE. Let us hope for sunshine but enjoy the Hershey event whatever the weather. It could be worse. Remember 1975 or 76? Dick C. on C3I in red field between light poles 26 and 27. The North Carolina Region HCCA meeting place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 07:34 am:

Any more, it seems if vendors get two solid days on Wednesday and Thursday, they will pull out on Friday at even the hint of rain. Always good to get to the show early in the week.

Although I remember when Saturday used to be the biggest day and the crowds were unbelievable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Kerndt-Waukon, Iowa on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 08:55 am:

What will the Hurricane "Matthew" do to the weather at Hershey? Looks like its coming up the Eastern Seaboard!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 09:42 am:

Waaaay too early to tell on that one Bill. Hurricanes are very unpredictable, try as the weather people might.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 10:47 am:

The last time I was thinking about (but didn't go) to Hershey a storm was predicted with plenty of rain. This was a few years back. Turned out beautiful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fry on Saturday, October 01, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

Matthew is only to hit off the coast of Florida by Thursday. Hershey 2016 would be history by the time Matthew would affect Pennsylvania. As of today the predictions expect Matthew to go out to sea. Come to Hershey and enjoy rain or shine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 07:00 pm:

Its going to sunny all week in the high 60 s We just cane out of wet Carlilse and the sun is shining

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration